Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated - ready to give up fmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-ready-give-up-fmq-t271907.html)

madamekelly 11-06-2015 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 7367950)
I use a size 90/14 or 100/16 top stitch needle. I don't have problems with the thread breaking once I changed to using the top stitch needles. Slow down on the curves and that will help also.
Sharon in Texas

I read all the suggestions, but one idea was missed. Your needle might have a burr. Even with all the quality controls needle companies have (and they take pride in the product they make) sometimes you get a bad needle. Try replacing it? I find a bad needle about once every few years. I just accept it as a cost of doing business. Also, make a sample sandwich to test on, until it works right. (I make my test samples all 12.5" in certain colors, so I can use them in QAG)

donna13350 11-06-2015 10:21 PM

Before you start messing with the adjustments on your machine..try going slowly...slow machine speed, slow hand movements. I think most people watch the videos of the professionals and don't realize that they have longarms and stitch regulators..us mere mortals need to start slowly till we get the hang of it!

annette1952 11-07-2015 07:17 AM

When I have those days I do this: Make sure you have a clean machine. Rethread even though you know it is threaded right, change my needle to a denim #16. If you are already using a 16 then put a new 16 in. Put stitch length to "0" One of those things usually fixes it in my experience. You will get lots of good advice so hopefully someone can help

MaryKatherine 11-07-2015 07:27 AM

Try using a needle with a bigger eye.

Bree123 11-07-2015 09:41 AM

Lots of great suggestions here! One other thing...

Make sure when your thread breaks to clip the thread up by the spool & then pull the thread from the needle down to remove the cut thread. That will help pull out any little fuzzies in the thread run. I got a tiny grey fuzzy caught in my thread run the other day & the thread snapped. Sure enough, when I pulled the cut thread down, the fuzzy came out. I rethreaded my machine & was good to go. You might even try doing that a couple of times before you start up again. It will clean any tiny fuzzies or bits of thread out to ensure it travels smoothly to your needle.

IBQUILTIN 11-07-2015 11:26 AM

I would try turning off the machine, putting in a new needle, rethreading both top thread and bobbin, then try again.. Then try on a practice piece

Tothill 11-07-2015 03:10 PM

OP Breathe, as you can see by reading all the replies many of us, probably most of us have had this problem at one time or another.

I have not seen this comment.

My 20+ year old Kenmore - made by Janome - always shreds thread if I mix poly and cotton thread. It was never the needle, tension, threading, just a mix of thread types. Of course I forget at times, but she reminds me pretty quick.

I have not tried mixing thread types on my new Janome 2030.

Jingle 11-07-2015 06:17 PM

I also would say, I try to avoid seams. Some threads have weak places in them. Look close at the thread after it has broken. I pull off about 12 or more inches. Be sure to relax, that helps too. The more often you FMQ the better you will get. Just keep trying and you will get it.

zozee 11-07-2015 07:11 PM

Most teachers will strongly recommend you draw, draw, draw on paper to practice . Fill a sketchbook (use big, cheap tablets). You have to build muscle memory and that only comes with repetition. I say all this as one who was on the verge of giving up, too, nit long ago. Then I started on solid color sandwiches, and now I am getting the hang of it and ....drumroll please... really liking it. :thumbup:You can do this!

hudgoddess 11-08-2015 08:42 PM

Give your machine a good cleaning - the bobbin area, take it apart to get all the lint out. A new needle frequently helps. And remember, it's not a race. Take your time and move it along slowly!