Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-t177360.html)

sassey 01-29-2012 07:19 AM

Frustrated

I was sewing along Friday when all of a sudden my needle broke on my Brother sewing machine for some reason the bobbin housing was also coming out. Can anyone give me any advise as to how to fix this problem? I changed the needle I also checked to make sure I had got all the needle parts out. I also have a new singer with the very same problem right now the singer bobbin seems to be jamned and out of place I can't even get the bobbin out at all. This is so frustrating I am careful not to sew over pins . My dgd is always sewing over pins and ect with her brother and she never has any problem with her machine. I really need to get my machine up and running.. My late dh always told me if it is mechanicle to just leave it alone and he would take care of it when he got home because I would mess it up big time. lol

Just Me... 01-29-2012 07:28 AM

My guess is that you are using the wrong bobbins. Even the smallest difference in size can make life less than pleasant!

mom2boys 01-29-2012 07:50 AM

I had a needle break in my Pfaff machine and it bent the bobbin casing, now that I have a new one everything is all good.

stitchingcrazy 01-29-2012 08:00 AM

I am not familiar with your make of machine, but in your tool box there should be a small screw driver. In the foot plate where your needle goes into to get the bobbin thread there are a couple of screws. Undo those and take the foot plate off and have a look inside. There could be fluff or thread inside causing loss of freedom for the bobbin to turn. or maybe a small fragment of your broken needles. Get the brush supplied in the tool box and give it a clean as best you can. My bobbin housing comes right out and I can clean under neath it. Be careful when replacing the bobbin housing, there is a way to do it so it fits snugly. Before reassembling completely, test things are OK by gently turning the fly wheel of the machine and see what happens. Then try it with a needle in place and again gently turn the fly wheel and listen and look at what is happening. I agree with "Just me" in that you should use recommended bobbins for your different makes of machine. I hope this helps, all I can say is if you are brave enough to have a look go ahead, but if you are too nervous, it's a trip to your local machine shop I guess. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

bubble951 01-29-2012 08:09 AM

Great advise above. Going to earmark.

Dolphyngyrl 01-29-2012 08:37 AM

Did you take it out recently and put the bobbin area back together, my guess is you put it back together wrong. I did that with my babylock and the needle and thread were jamming, my suggestion to you is to take it all apart, clean it out get you manual out and put it back together like it says, if you put it back together in the wrong order you will have problems.

DogHouseMom 01-29-2012 08:46 AM

All great advice above ... start by taking the plate off and giving the bobbin area a thorough cleaning.

Not familiar with your machine, but in addition to having the wrong bobbin in the machine, you might also have placed it in upside-down (my Husky has a up and a down side bobbin). Generally if the bobbin has a up and a down side, the up side is marked some how.

dressmakergurl 01-29-2012 04:34 PM

The bobbin thread should pull out clockwise. And when you broke the needle. You may have knocked it out of time. And only a repair man can fix that. A good shuttle cleaning may be needed.Hopefully it is a simple fix.

Joset 01-30-2012 04:51 AM

I had a problem once with my 1600p and i didnt
have my bobbin in all the way. check to make
sure it clicks in there good.

sassey 01-30-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the help It turned out I was using what I thought was universal bobbins I thought that any prewound bobbins would fit both my machines