Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-t211302.html)

teddysmom 01-19-2013 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 (Post 5796680)
if all you have is the quilt top, i would throw it out and not waste the batting. you will learn from your mistake, but you don't need the constant reminder glaring at you!

Exactly what I did with a quilt top I made. Threw it out and used it as a learning experience. Throw it out and don't look back!!!

SuzieQuilts 01-19-2013 05:53 AM

Finish it to practice your free motion quilting, and then put it in the trunk of your car for an "emergency quilt" or in your camper if your family likes to camp. That is what I did with the first two quilts I quilted using my frame and free motion quilting and made all kinds of mistakes. The one quilt, was our school colors, so my daughter used it on bus trips, and now it is in her trunk of her car in plastic, ready to keep her warm if she is stranded on the road some place. The other is in our camper, I only have to look at it a few times a year, but it it is still being used.

Daylesewblessed 01-19-2013 08:52 AM

If the top lays flat and has no problems that would give you fits during the machine quilting process, I would definitely recommend finishing it for practice with machine quilting. It will be well received if donated as long as it is sturdy and washable. Lots of people can't see past nice colors and fabrics. Something that is getting you down will give someone else a lift!

Daisy Dew 01-20-2013 05:10 AM

i learned this at a class years ago from Johanna Wilson of Plum Creek Quilts. When cutting down a HST ALWAYS line up the 45 degree line with your ruler and trim from both sides thus you will not lose your points. Thanks Johanna where ever you are. She had a cute sampler quilt called "Laura Engals Wilder Sampler" after all Johanna use to live on the banks of Plum Creed in Wisc.

Todie's Mom 01-20-2013 05:46 AM

the first quilt I did was an Eleanor Burns and I was so proud but when I gave it a second look...right smack in the middle was a block that the seams did not match at all. I had never done applique before but I cut out a nice size tulip and appliqued it over that mess of seams. To this day, every time someone sees the quilt they admire the tulip. Mistakes are opportunities to stretch your imagination.

maviskw 01-20-2013 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5796801)
Exactly what I did with a quilt top I made. Threw it out and used it as a learning experience. Throw it out and don't look back!!!

I just makes me sick when I hear of people saying they "throw it out". My goodness, someone would finish it and give it away to someone who would love a warm quilt. Take it to goodwill.

vivoaks 01-20-2013 06:22 AM

I'm not sure if I'd donate it. If it's really bad, there are numerous things you could do with it. "Fracture" it with the black fabric, cut it into small pieces and donate them to your local humane society for pet beds, and I've seen a few good suggestions already posted. Don't throw it out - it's got to be good for SOMEthing! :-)

fayeberry 01-20-2013 06:44 AM

dog bedding

Karen's Kreations 01-20-2013 06:49 AM

I agree with those who said finish it and practice FMQ. Then you can donate it. It will make a great practice piece.

brenwalt 01-20-2013 07:05 AM

Hang in there

Originally Posted by linda701 (Post 5794964)
I decided that I was going to make a quilt for my queen size bed. I rushed around and cut the squares out for it . when I came back from vacation I sewed them together and it didn't match up so I checked everything and found when I cut my squares out they were not cut all the right size. In order to get them all the right size I trimmed them.They were half square triangle block and when trimming them I had to cut off a lot of the points. Went ahead
and sewed together as a different pattern. It looks pretty sloppy. Don't know what to do with it now. Thought I would finish it and practice my free motion quilting on it and everytime I looked at it , it would remind me not to get in a hurry when cutting out a quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do with it? I am new at making a quilt but I knew better.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Put it together and use it to practice your FMQ. I have two tops like that that are total disasters as "quality quilts" but I added borders, batting, backing and bound them. Am now practicing FMQ on both of them and am having a ball. I will actually "sleep under" these quilts as opposed to "saving them" - Just put your top together and have fun with FMQ !! You won't be sorry!!