Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-t245942.html)

GrammaNan 04-28-2014 04:02 PM

Frustrated

About three years ago a niece asked me to make her a quilt for her graduation. I told her that I would and purchased enough black, red and white fabric to make a queen size French Braid. Well, I got started and found out that she wasn't going to graduate and had not plans to so...no quilt. I tucked it away because I was a little mad at her. Fast forward to early this year. I found the UFO and decided to finish it. I had three braids made and they were hanging up on my design wall downstairs. My daughter saw them and said she wanted the quilt and if I would finish it she would pay to have it quilted. I got excited and began working on it even more often. Last week she told me that SHE HAD CHANGED HER MIND and that I should make it for her brother. I showed it to my son and he said "I'll take it but you need to get rid of the butterfly fabric". Ugh. So I have been picking the strips out of the braids and now I cannot figure out how to put the braid back together. I can't get the small red blocks lined up and it looks terrible. I am NOT going to tear the braids apart and start over. Any suggestions?

QuiltnMyra 04-28-2014 04:14 PM

Stop saying "how high?" when these folk say "jump".

TeresaA 04-28-2014 04:20 PM

Post a picture. Let the lovely, talented and generous members of this board help you figure out how to put it back together WITH the butterfly fabric.

And then keep the quilt for yourself.

Jan in VA 04-28-2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra (Post 6695540)

Oh lady after my own heart!! LOL!:D

dunster 04-28-2014 04:26 PM

I had to laugh at Mary B's reply, but I agree. Make the quilt the way you want to make it, don't make it if you don't want to make it, and tell the son and daughter that they just lost out because you're tired of trying to please them.

krafty14 04-28-2014 04:30 PM

Right on!!!

DebraK 04-28-2014 04:30 PM

do not let other people infringe upon your joy of creating. at this point, if it is all in pieces and you have no plan, save the fabric for a cool scrappy quilt that you want to play with.

Dolphyngyrl 04-28-2014 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra (Post 6695540)

I totally agree

QuiltnLady1 04-28-2014 04:36 PM

If you try to please everyone else you will never please yourself -- and I quilt to please myself and hope others enjoy what I make. I understand your frustration -- have made a quilt as a gift only to be told that they would use it except for one fabric. I take the quilt back and give it to charity -- have had one person come back and say they wanted it after all and I said too bad, its gone.

StephyH2 04-28-2014 04:39 PM

Yep, if they don't like it too bad, make it how you want ... and you can always sell it!! Post a picture so we can see the problem. I don't make things that others want anymore as it's never 'quite right' for them and then you are left with it. I make what I like, give to friends if they like, otherwise to a charity or sell it via Etsy. Hope all your work isn't wasted!