Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun question - quilting ADD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-question-quilting-add-t312416.html)

tallchick 09-10-2020 07:26 AM

I like to do BOMs so I do each block as I get them; the rest of the time I cut and label all the fabric, then I break down each step and complete accordingly. If I have 100 FG to make I will grab enough to make 20 at one sitting, trim down label and move on to the next 20, etc. . This helps me set mini goals for getting everything done, I also take a short break between each “round” so I don’t get so fatigued. Usually, my break involves a quick cleaning chore so that nothing has a chance to get too neglected.

Macybaby 09-10-2020 07:28 AM

I'm unlikely to jump around between steps on a quilt, but I do jump around between quilts. At any given time I'm likely to have several quilts in progress not counting what is ready to go on the LA.

The exception is that I really do like to cut out everything before I start if possible, but then cutting is one of my most favorite parts. The other issue is I'm often going off a picture and using stash, so I'm sometimes not sure if I'm going to have enough fabric for a specific element, and may need to use a couple of fabrics, so then I want to make sure I can randomize the use and not have it look like I ran out at the end and had to switch to something else.

This is one of the reasons I love participating in the Boom swaps, doing one block at a time as they are all different.

Peckish 09-10-2020 07:57 AM

I like to move around and work on different aspects, otherwise I get bored, and when I get bored, I lose motivation. I used to feel guilty about this because I have a couple of friends who don't allow themselves to work on more than one project at a time. Then I met award-winning quilter Cynthia England, and she said she can't work on the same project, she moves around. That made me feel better and I gave myself permission to do whatever interests me in the moment. 😊

bearisgray 09-10-2020 08:08 AM

I also do a bit here - do a bit there - sometimes I even finish something!

cjsews 09-10-2020 08:09 AM

Depending on the pattern I am working on is how I approach it. If I am making a lot of the same I will make 10 - 20 of each section and complete that many blocks before moving on to more. The pattern I am working on now has 20” blocks done in different colors. These I am sewing one block at a time.

Watson 09-10-2020 08:13 AM

I like to see how it's going, so I'll put together everything for a few blocks, sew those up and put them on my design wall, put together everything for a few more, etc until I have the whole thing done.

Watson

Railroadersbrat 09-10-2020 09:46 AM

I suffer from quilting ADD, sometimes it can be such a pain, lol.

I actually don't cut all my pieces at one time, I found out that my cutting accuracy suffers if I sit down and cut everything out all at once. So, I'll cut for about half the quilt, work on that until I run out of pieces, take a break, then cut down for the rest of the quilt. If it's applique, though, I do tend to cut for only a couple blocks ahead of where I'm at, work that, cut down for a couple more blocks, etc.

I think as long as the quilt gets finished, there's no real right or wrong way to do it.

aashley333 09-10-2020 12:47 PM

I quilt for fun. Short bursts work best, or long ones if the mood strikes. I whipped up a list of current projects-each one at a different stage of completion. 7!

Irishrose2 09-10-2020 01:03 PM

I definitely have ADD and tend to jump around in life as well as in quilting. Lately I have had deadlines and have worked to stay the course, minus time out for mask making. If I don't finish the quilt I am working on right now in time, I will have to pay postage to Japan - Ouch! I actually pressed twelve big blocks all at one - yay!! That being said, I did cut out a baby quilt a few days ago.

joe'smom 09-10-2020 01:17 PM

When piecing a quilt, I complete all of each stage before going on to the next, but if the quilt is complex and the units are difficult, I will take a break as necessary to work on an easier project that doesn't take so much mental energy.