Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Funny what you notice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/funny-what-you-notice-t81946.html)

JanTx 12-10-2010 01:35 PM

I just started quilting in August, however, I've been aware of quilts all my life as my grandmother quilted and I have several of her creations in my house.

Today I spent the morning taking a group of fifth grade guitar players to several different care centers singing Christmas songs to the residents there. This is the 19th year I have done this. Same procedure, same facilities, same, same, same.

BUT this year what I noticed was ... quilts or no quilts? At one place I saw none, at the next almost everyone had one - wrapped in their arms, over their laps, flat, or cuddled - quilts. The last place we went was more of an assisted living center - not the same kind of place. So ... I always knew there was a different "feel" between the first two facilities, but I couldn't quite describe it. Now I think it's the difference of quilts. The ones I saw were so very basic - I know I can turn out quite a few of these in 2011.

CircleSquare 12-10-2010 01:41 PM

Wow! What a different perspective you have given me on making lap quilts for the people in nursing homes and assisted living centers! Thanks!

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 02:15 PM

Very interesting! And nice to know, thanks!

sahm4605 12-10-2010 02:24 PM

I have noticed more quilts since I have started quilting. It is especially bad watching TV. they are all over there. it is like Hollywood is obsessed with quilts in "older" homes or with "old" people. it is kinda funny actually.

Cyn 12-10-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have noticed more quilts since I have started quilting. It is especially bad watching TV. they are all over there. it is like Hollywood is obsessed with quilts in "older" homes or with "old" people. it is kinda funny actually.

that is funny- does that mean young people don't "get" it?

candi 12-10-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn

Originally Posted by sahm4605

that is funny- does that mean young people don't "get" it?

I get it :lol: :mrgreen:

jljack 12-10-2010 06:43 PM

I think quilts in any kind of "home" sitution sure makes it feel more like a real home. Some of the assisted living places are pretty sterile looking. Most are OK, but if you added quilts, I'm sure the people who llive there would feel much more "at home".

I think I could make some simple quilts for one of those places. I'll ask my friendship quilting group if maybe we can do some together to donate to one of these places here. Thanks for the idea!!!

Shemjo 12-10-2010 06:48 PM

It is definitely interesting that quilts show up when you know what you are looking for! Like after you find your first four-leaf clover, you can find more!

twospoiledhuskies 12-11-2010 04:28 AM

I too am making some quilts. I volunteer to do grocery shopping/delivery for seniors in my area. They appreciate everything I do for them. If only more people would spend some time with our seniors, they'd know how truely special they are. I look forward to seeing them every week. :-D