Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusiable Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusiable-batting-t71340.html)

snow 10-20-2010 04:09 PM

I just bough some fusiable batting made by june tailor bough @ joann's Has anyone try this? It is low-loft cause I am a Machine quilter. I have never use this before I quilt in thirds on my quilt if I have a large quilt to do.

purplemem 10-20-2010 04:34 PM

Well, I used it once on the quilt I'm doing. It didn't work.
I followed the directions and ironed it to the fabric. Was nice for about 14 minutes.

Now I've quilted the quilt and it bunched, and came apart. I won't buy it again.

BTW when it came apart I spray basted it together, and the spray baste wouldn't stick. My first time for that to happen. Used 505.

np3 10-20-2010 04:46 PM

I have had a few bad experiences with the June Taylor line. I hesitate to buy anything with that name.......Just me....

amma 10-20-2010 06:18 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I too had a really bad experience with it. JMHO :D:D:D

candi 10-20-2010 06:25 PM

I don't know about June Tailor's brand, but I bought the Mountain Mist fusible batting, also from Joann's, and used it for a project recently and it worked very well. The only thing that I didn't like about it, is that I had to quilt it no more than 2'' apart, I don't normally quilt that close. For that project, it was a wall hanging, so it didn't matter the heavy quilting.

sgtmom 10-20-2010 06:32 PM

I wouldn't recommend the June Taylor fusible batting. Too many problems with it to mention. Hobbs makes a good one and the Mountain Mist is also acceptable. I've used these as they were given to me as gifts. I, personally, use Warm & Natural batting with 505 temporary spray adhesive. I pin baste, as well, if I can't get to the quilting within 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

cc 10-21-2010 12:54 PM

I haven't used this brand, but I have tried Pellon brand and don't really like it. It doesn't stay fused and I especially don't like that the fabric looks lumpy after fusing. I think all the moisture from the steam during fusing causes the fabric to ripple and pucker. I use it if I want a think polyester batting, but I don't fuse it, I just baste as usual.

Lori S 10-21-2010 01:02 PM

Really not a fan of the fusible batting. It just did not hold. I thought when I purchased I was onto something ..... Well it was quite dissapointing. Spray baste .. now thats something to be happy about.... life changing!

sgtmom 10-26-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Really not a fan of the fusible batting. It just did not hold. I thought when I purchased I was onto something ..... Well it was quite dissapointing. Spray baste .. now thats something to be happy about.... life changing!

Amen to spray basting. However, the spray also makes a difference. I only use 505 spray. I've tried June Taylor, Sulky, several others and I stick with the 505. It cost more, but I don't get gummed up needles when quilting. That would be a good thing.

luvstoquilt301 10-26-2010 06:36 AM

I would use it for small projects and LOTS of steam in the iron. I did use up the roll I bought but would not buy it again.