Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible applique - how to not fray the ends? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-applique-how-not-fray-ends-t64364.html)

donnajean 09-12-2010 10:40 AM

I uses "Steam n' Seam 2 on many quilts with no problem. All I can think is maybe your needle is dull or gummed up. Also, when going around curves, use needle down & lift presser foot to make small turns frequently - even if you have only gone 1 or 2 stitches.

LucyInTheSky 09-12-2010 10:44 AM

Thank you all. Another question: What size needle should I use?

LucyInTheSky 09-12-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
I was taught to sew with the right side of the stitch just off the edge of the fabric I don't know if that helps but I use heat and bond light and dont have this problem

Making sure I have this right - the majority of your stitching is on the applique with only a little on the background, correct?

candi 09-12-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
are you using a fresh sharp needle? What size?

I am curious, what size needle should one use for fusible applique?

MadQuilter 09-12-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Making sure I have this right - the majority of your stitching is on the applique with only a little on the background, correct?

Yes, the needle enters the background fabric JUST OFF the applique and moves into the applique. I prefer blanket - or buttonhole stitch to do mine. The sideways part of the stitch covers the raw edge and I have never had any trouble.

Another great stitch is the satin stitch (a very tight zig-zag) - it does use a bit of thread but all of the seam is covered.

I would recommend that you add a stabilizer under the piece though or you may have puckers or drawn in look.

ckcowl 09-12-2010 11:15 AM

i thin sharp NEW needle is necessary, also a stablizer will really help keep your project from fraying or puckering while you stitch. you can use a removeable stablizer or one that can stay right in but it really makes a huge difference, especially for applique projects like Mickena Ryan patterns. starch will not help because fusable has trouble sticking to the fabric if it has been starched, it is important to pre-wash and make sure the sizing and any starch is removed from the fabric before attaching the fusable.

SueDor 09-12-2010 11:30 AM

Don't you need a stabalizer for that also?

amma 09-12-2010 11:40 AM

The straight stitches should be in the background fabric, and the "zigs" to the side should be in the applique.

The lighter adhesives are nice as they dont make the fabrics feel as stiff, but you also may have more fraying happening.

I wouldn't starch fabrics when using applique, the starch can prevent the adhesives from adhering well.

freezeframe03 09-12-2010 11:41 AM

I love doing applique. I always use wonder under, but any two sided fusible will work. It sounds like your problem is the need for a stabilizer under your project. I just use copy paper. The satin stitch makes it really easy to remove the excess paper afterwards. A used needle will still stitch your applique but you will get skipped stitches. The bunching is because you aren't using a stabilizer.

sewcrafty 09-12-2010 12:21 PM

When I've machine appliqued, use the lightest possible fusible (as it'll stiffen your quilt in those areas). I probably do my prep for my material differently than most. I actually cut out all my applique pieces then place them on the fusible and put my teflon sheet on top and iron all at once, then cut out the pieces individually and haven't had a problem with fraying. I don't feel its necessary to use a stabilizer.

I also use a satin stitch. Practice with this, you don't want it too tight of stitch or it'll pucker the fabric and the width is actually a preference. I don't do my stitches very wide I go for a more thin just edging.

I make a sandwich and start adjusting my stitches every 1- 1.5" for the width and then do the same for the length of stitch to come up with the combo that I like.

Good Luck!!