Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-batting-t61622.html)

Mattee 08-27-2010 06:47 AM

I've tried fusible batting, and while I like how it worked, the smell of the chemical in it really bothered me. Heating up a glue while I'm standing over it and being able to smell it means I'm inhaling it, which I was not pleased with. I won't use it again.

grann of 6 08-27-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I've tried fusible batting, and while I like how it worked, the smell of the chemical in it really bothered me. Heating up a glue while I'm standing over it and being able to smell it means I'm inhaling it, which I was not pleased with. I won't use it again.

Yes, I am sensitive to smells too. I have only used it a few times on baby quilts or table runners. I would rather use pins as I don't like the basting spray floating around either. I think for small projects its fine.

Up North 08-27-2010 07:13 AM

I tried it but didn't care for it.

ckcowl 08-27-2010 10:10 AM

if you are send to a long arm quilter fusable batting is a waste of money...quilts are loaded backing first, then the top with the batting (floating) in between the sandwich is not put together ahead of time.
some people have luck with fusable batting, some have lots of trouble with it. it would be best to use on small projects (wall hangings). but if you are sending your quilt out it is probably not what you want.

teacherbailey 08-28-2010 03:43 AM

I love fusible batting and basting spray, as hours of tedious pinning or basting just doesn't fit with my life! I fusible-basted a kingsized quilt once---the ironing took time, I admit, but was still OK and made it VERY easy to quilt with nothing moving around!

watterstide 08-28-2010 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I tried it but didn't care for it.

me too, i would use it only for a wall hanging. not anything bigger.

peaceandjoy 08-28-2010 04:29 AM

I like fusible batting for table runners and other small projects that won't be wrapped on/over me. It seems kind of stiff, and I don't want that in a quilt.

As for starch and spray adhesive, I've never had a problem. I use Best Press and 505 or Sulky; maybe other products don't play well together. There is a fairly recent thread on this topic.

gaillynne 08-28-2010 06:13 AM

It works great for bags and smaller projects, but I like 505 fusible spray for my large quilts.

bigsister63 08-28-2010 07:42 AM

I heard a terrible story from a QS about Joann's fusible batting. The lady said that 2 different quilters used fusible batting from Joann's and it ended up being perminate and bleed thru the top and ruined the quilt. Beware!!!!!!

Twilliebee 08-28-2010 08:20 AM

"I like fusible batting for table runners and other small projects that won't be wrapped on/over me. It seems kind of stiff, and I don't want that in a quilt."

The first time I tried it, I bought a twin size pkg at Walmart. It felt stiff and weird and I wasn't too sure about using it again.........until I threw the quilt in the washing machine. I always wash the quilt when I'm finished, and it came out soft and drapey. Just what I wanted. Now I buy off the roll at my LQS. Just lucky maybe, but I've never had a problem.