Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible Fleece and Bow Tucks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-fleece-bow-tucks-t188576.html)

Buckeye Rose 05-10-2012 05:23 AM

Fusible Fleece and Bow Tucks

I've been making Bow Tucks bags and have been having problems getting the fusible fleece to adhere to the fabric. My poor old iron doesn't steam anymore, so have even tried lightly spraying water onto the fabric to mimic the action of steam. Yesterday, while fusing the fabric, either the fabric shrank, or the fusible....but it pulled up almost a half inch! But it did fuse. What am I doing wrong? Will the sizing in the fabric affect the fusibility? I've never prewashed the fabrics - didn't think it was necessary for a bag that most likely wouldn't ever be washed. Can I use the regular fleece (not fusible) and quilt close enough to achieve the same results? I need help.....my family loves these bags and I can't make them fast enough! Thanks in advance for all your help (I know someone out there has the right answers).

Rose

Pat625 05-10-2012 05:31 AM

I had the same problem and my iron is brand new...I was thinking of just using non fusible for my next one and back it with muslin. The other problem I had was sewing directly to the batting..really got caught up in my needle and foot..I think the muslin will help that too..or a better fusible..The one I used was June taylor..the only one available at the store I was in.I also never prewash, but do not think that is the problem. I will be watching with interest, as I have many requests to make these bags too

jaciqltznok 05-10-2012 05:36 AM

if you read the directions on MOST fusibles, you have to wash the fabric first!

Buckeye Rose 05-10-2012 07:45 AM

After reading your reply, I went back and looked at the directions again. Nowhere does it say anything about washing the fabrics first. That indeed may be the problem, but if it is, it would be nice for them to tell me to wash first!

Pat625 05-10-2012 09:31 AM

Mine didn't say prewash either..But I really think a fusible fleece will work much better than fusible batting as far as running it thru the machine.

joysewer 05-10-2012 10:05 AM

I use 987F and haven't had a problem with it. I usually use a wool or cotton setting. Some things say press on both sides. I press the fabric onto it first and then turn it over and use a pressing cloth to press the other side.

Monroe 05-10-2012 12:42 PM

Prewashing fabrics will help fusibles adhere. Also- read the fusible directions carefully. Some work with steam, others require a dry iron with no water even in the tank.

raptureready 05-10-2012 02:38 PM

Don't add any fabric softner to your washer or dryer.

nativetexan 05-10-2012 02:55 PM

and if you wash, don't add fabric softeners to the fabric. good luck.

JustAbitCrazy 05-10-2012 04:00 PM

It seems to me when I did mine I didn't use the steam setting on the iron, but instead pressed overtop a damp clean washcloth. I think I had to hold the iron on each spot longer than directed, too. Before moving to the next section to steam, I also held the hot dry iron ontop (with the damp washcloth removed) to "dry" that section before I moved the fabric. That seemed to help mine to adhere.