Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible Fleece question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-fleece-question-t25991.html)

katier825 09-24-2009 01:54 PM

When using fusible fleece, does it make a difference in how well it adheres to the fabric if the fabric is prewashed vs not washed?

I'm using it for a bag, not a quilt. I usually prewash for quilts, but don't know if I should for this project.

Moonpi 09-24-2009 01:58 PM

I know sizing interferes with fusible webbing - I would thunk it would with fusible batting, too.

NorBanaquilts 09-24-2009 02:55 PM

I've used fusible fleece for bags and did not prewash fabric. I didn't think it fused well, but it was enough to get the quilting done. I have washed my bag twice and it came out beautiful each time. Hope this helps

nursie76 09-24-2009 03:07 PM

I used fusible fleece years ago for a bag that had no quilting, and did not prewash. It didn't fuse all that well, but the DD's are still carrying the bags.

Recently I used it for a little bag and it fused fine on on unwashed fabric.

I recently used fusible vinyl and it specifically stated that the fabric had to be washed without fabric softener for it to fuse well.

Good luck.

BeachBirdie 09-24-2009 03:08 PM

I use fusible fleece all the time...I make bags and wallets with it all the time and I've never had a problem with it. Use with care on Batik fabric, if it get too hot you'll see the glue marks on the right side of the fabric.

kluedesigns 09-24-2009 06:49 PM

in the last 2 months i've gone thru an entire bolt of fusible fleece making handbags.

i never prewash my fabric for handbags plus when i iron the fabric i use heavy starch and no problems at all.

i do use deco bond and fusible fleece to make my bags though, so i don't know if that matters.

i fuse the deco bond first then i fuse the fleece.

mamatobugboo 09-24-2009 06:56 PM

i've made quite a few bags with fusible fleece plus don't prewash and I have never had a problem with the fusing!

Pzazz 09-24-2009 06:59 PM

I have used fusible fleece for several dozen bags, and never washed it first. Always good results.

katier825 09-25-2009 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
in the last 2 months i've gone thru an entire bolt of fusible fleece making handbags.

i never prewash my fabric for handbags plus when i iron the fabric i use heavy starch and no problems at all.

i do use deco bond and fusible fleece to make my bags though, so i don't know if that matters.

i fuse the deco bond first then i fuse the fleece.

Klue - what is deco bond?

kluedesigns 09-25-2009 06:30 AM

its a stiffer but thinner non woven fusible. its most commonly used in home dec projects and the width is onger to accommodate those types of applications.

i like to use it because it makes the bag a little more firm.

i apply the deco bond to the wrong side of the outer fabric and then i apply the fusible fleece on top of that and then i apply the deco bond to the lining fabric (i don't use any fusible fleece on the lining fabric).