Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible Fleece? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-fleece-t33617.html)

May in Jersey 01-08-2010 07:14 PM

Has anyone used this product? I signed up for a Monstrous Tote Bag workshop in Feb. and fusible fleece is on the supply list I received today. May

Stitchnripper 01-08-2010 07:19 PM

I've used a Pellon fusible fleece for totes and have had no problem with it.

nursie76 01-08-2010 07:19 PM

I used it several years ago for drawstring totes for my DD's. It worked well. Gave the totes a little body, and no quilting. Course now I would probably still add some to it ;)

littlehud 01-08-2010 07:22 PM

I have never heard of it. What is it used for?

Crafty1 01-08-2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper

I use Pellon too for totes but sometimes it doesn't fuse properly (I must be doing something wrong or the iron isn't that good) so I use heat n bond and batting together.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-09-2010 03:56 AM

this is what I would use.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 01-09-2010 04:54 PM

I used fuseible polar fleece that a lady brought to me to make her a cape for a Alaska cruise. It worked nice. But as far as I have been able to find out can't buy it anymore.

katier825 01-09-2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crafty1

I use Pellon too for totes but sometimes it doesn't fuse properly (I must be doing something wrong or the iron isn't that good) so I use heat n bond and batting together.

I think this can happen from chemicals in the fabric if you do not prewash the fabric. Also, don't use softner when you wash. That can also interfer with fusing. Could this have been the case with you?

Stitchnripper 01-09-2010 06:16 PM

Interesting. I didn't prewash my fabrics put maybe there was just the right combination of pressure, heat and steam. I can't remember if the directions called for steam, but in that case, no steam! I didn't have any trouble with it. I'm just wondering if there is a life span or shelf life to these things? Are some "fresher" than others?

katier825 01-09-2010 06:20 PM

Interesting. I didn't prewash my fabrics put maybe there was just the right combination of pressure, heat and steam. I can't remember if the directions called for steam, but in that case, no steam! I didn't have any trouble with it. I'm just wondering if there is a life span or shelf life to these things? Are some "fresher" than others?

Maybe there is a limit to the shelf life. I have had issues with some fusibles in the past myself. I bought a bunch on ebay once - I think my problems were in that batch. Maybe it's not good to buy in bulk unless you go through it quickly.