Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible interfacing - how long to wait before washing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-interfacing-how-long-wait-before-washing-t220446.html)

meyert 05-01-2013 07:13 AM

Fusible interfacing - how long to wait before washing?

I have been interfacing and then wait and wash the next day. I am off work today and I interfaced this morning.... how long should I wait to put these in the washer? Can I wash them today? Or should I still wait until tomorrow?

Nammie to 7 05-01-2013 07:16 AM

What are you interfacing? I would wash any fabric, interface then trim to size.

2blackcats 05-01-2013 07:18 AM

I have washed as soon as I finish sewing around the edges of the appliqué. Sorry, but sometimes that is a day or more after I ironed on the interfacing. I'm not sure what you are interfacing, but as long as the article has been stabilized with sewing I don't see why you can't wash immediately.

meyert 05-01-2013 07:42 AM

I have some tshirts that I applied interfacing to.. and then I am like you Nammie to 7 I will trim after I wash them. I just don't want to wash them too soon in case it will affect the bonding of the interface

Peckish 05-01-2013 07:43 AM

I don't wash anything that has interfacing until the project is completed and all interfaced edges are sewn and secured.

quilter2090 05-01-2013 08:15 AM

Why are you washing individual blocks before you sew them into the quilt. If you were making a garment using fusible interfacing, would wash the collar section before you construct the entire garment? I admit, I have never heard of anyone putting the interfacing on the t-shirt block before you sew the quilt together. May I ask why you think you have to wash before you complete your quilt?

meyert 05-01-2013 09:46 AM

I have never made any garments to even think about how I would deal with the collar. When I watched videos on the internet the lady put the interfacing on the t-shirts before she assembled the quilt - so that is why I put the interfacing on before I trim the pieces and sew them together. I am making a memory quilt from my nephews tshirts.... I have quite a few. I wanted to wash the tshirts after interfacing before I go any farther in case the interfacing doesn't last through the wash. Then I would know that I needed to redo the interfacing before I trimmed and proceeded to sew.

nativetexan 05-01-2013 11:00 AM

Ah I see. how about washing one to see what happens? A good interfacing meant to be permanent should stay on fine. I too would interface before putting the t-shirts into your project. it's meant to give them stability. they are too stretchy otherwise.

meyert 05-01-2013 12:42 PM

My last batch 99% of the interfaced pieces went perfectly - but there were a few pieces that I had to do the interfacing again on. The second time I ironed the interfacing all went well - but I didn't wash until the next day. I am wondering because I some of the pieces I did wash the same day that I ironed on the interfacing... so I wondered if those were the few that were done that morning and caused them not to "stick" ... or maybe those were just difficult. It is a mute point now anyway... I have running to do and won't be able to wash anything any more today. Thanks for all of your thoughts

psumom 05-01-2013 03:00 PM

I wouldn't worry about the interfacing. Once you fuse it, it will stay in place, at least until you get the quilt put together. It's job is just to stabilize things while under construction. Once that happens and you sandwich and quilt it....the interfacing will stay in place. I've never heard of a waiting period after fusing before washing! Good luck!