Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-t217954.html)

Tashana 04-01-2013 04:22 AM

Fusible?

I have not worked with fusibles, more than once or twice. I need to fuse several large pieces to my quilt and I am looking for the lightest fusible on the market that still holds well. If you have your favorite, please share. So far I used Steam a seam light and it does not seem very light to me. Thank you!

GrandmaPeggy 04-01-2013 04:36 AM

I just completed two t-shirt quilts and used the pink label, "Pellon", lightest weight (#901 ?), about $2.99 per yard and had good results. I bought it both at Hobby Lobby & JoAnn's. Good Luck and show us your quilt, when finished.

gramajo 04-01-2013 04:43 AM

Try Misty Fuse. It's a little bit difficult to work with, but worth the results if you want a very light weight.

sewincircles 04-01-2013 04:48 AM

Steam a Seam 2 Lite or Misty Fuse would be my votes...

grammysharon 04-01-2013 06:56 AM

I agree, I think these are the lightest weight fusible on the market.

Originally Posted by sewincircles (Post 5969517)
Steam a Seam 2 Lite or Misty Fuse would be my votes...

kat13 04-01-2013 07:11 AM

You don't have to fuse the entire piece if its large, just fuse the edges, will be less bulk in your quilt and lighter weight!

AFQSinc 04-01-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kat13 (Post 5969907)
You don't have to fuse the entire piece if its large, just fuse the edges, will be less bulk in your quilt and lighter weight!

If I was fusing a big piece I would use the Steam a Seam II light tape. I have it in either a 1/2 inch or a 1/4 inch width, I can't remember which size. It would certainly be easier to just fuse the edges and then you don't have to worry about drawing the shape onto the whole piece of fusible and then cutting the center out. I have seen patterns that call for that, to lessen the bulk, but it just seems like a waste of fusible. Especially when you will be quilting over it.

quilttiger 04-01-2013 03:53 PM

Wonder Under is my favorite for fusing the applique pieces to the quit top.

Kat Sews 04-01-2013 04:08 PM

I like Wonder Under 805. So light and thin it doesn't add bulk to the quilt, and is not stiff at all. I was recommended to me by a professional art quilter named Melody Johnson. You can see some of her work at Fibermania.com

Tashana 04-01-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews (Post 5971024)
I like Wonder Under 805. So light and thin it doesn't add bulk to the quilt, and is not stiff at all. I was recommended to me by a professional art quilter named Melody Johnson. You can see some of her work at Fibermania.com

Kat Sews thanks for reminding me of Melody Johnson. I love her designs. Also thank you for sharing the tip she gave you, because she is certainly a master at her craft. For too long I relied on the popular opinion "no pain - no gain" and avoided my designs that can be accomplished only by very elaborate applique (which is not my cup of tea) or fusing. I know that many quilters kind of look down on fusing as an easy way out. Now I ask myself why the hack do I really care what others think? Freedom to create is exactly that - FREEDOM - whatever technique will get you there is a good technique. So, I went to her web site to enjoy the beauty of her quilts and I stumbled upon one thing she said, so I feel compelled to share it here:"I believe that the design is paramount to the technique and whatever it takes to create that piece is the right way to do it.” I wholeheartedly agree!