Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible versus basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-versus-basting-spray-t263044.html)

notmorecraft 03-23-2015 11:32 PM

Fusible versus basting spray

I order batting by the roll, and I need a new roll, I usually use spray basting, is fusible batting better than spray basting and is it worth the extra cost? Ladies(and gents) I would welcome your views.

DOTTYMO 03-24-2015 12:21 AM

Sorry I've only used itonce. I purchased an amount for a lap quilt. As is me I got. In a mess with the sticky sticking to each other . A friend use sit but only for small cushions. Where she can hold both sides to place on the front
i will watch this thread asiam interested to see if some clever quilters can place on without it sticking to itself.

coffeecozy 03-24-2015 02:32 AM

I have only used fusible batting once. It was even easier to get it layered than spray basting and seemed to be working quite well until it all started to come unstuck. I ended up pin basting it.
Because it was so easy I am tempted to try it again just to see if I can figure out what I did wrong. Next time though I won't be testing it out on a queen sized quilt.

Barb_MO 03-24-2015 03:01 AM

I tried it once on a lap size quilt, came un stuck. I wouldn't use it for anything big and if your not making regular size quilts, I would not see the need to buy by the roll.

sahansen44 03-24-2015 03:15 AM

I have used Hobbs fusible a lot. Sometimes it does not stick on particular fabrics (not sure why). I like it for tablerunners/wallhangings when I quilt them myself. Overall it works well.

elly66 03-24-2015 03:17 AM

I used it once as well. While it stuck to itself just fine as I tried to unroll it, I wound up spray basting it as it came unstuck in sandwich. Twice of sandwiching the quilt. I won't be buying it again. The large piece I have (it was a queen size quilt) I will use on smaller projects as everyone above mentioned.

MarionsQuilts 03-24-2015 03:40 AM

I use it all the time on quilts of all sizes. And yes, the batting does come unglued at times, but I just use glue and stick it back LOL

Tartan 03-24-2015 04:49 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt but it does take some work to get the sandwich ironed. The work involved in spray basting is about the same to me though. If I can get either the hobbs fusible or 505 basting spray on sale, that's what I go with.

Doggramma 03-24-2015 06:41 AM

The only times fusible batting worked for me is on a some small projects (baby quilt size or less). One time, though, I could not get the fusible to stick despite much ironing and steaming. It's really difficult to get it unstuck and smooth so I wouldn't even try it on anything bigger.

ManiacQuilter2 03-24-2015 06:44 AM

I still pin baste the old fashion way since it works best for me. I don't have an area large enough to use the fusible and never liked the spray fumes from the spray basting stuff. I live in an apt so there is no yard to work in.