Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible Web (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-web-t154979.html)

Airwick156 09-22-2011 11:23 AM

Can someone tell me what this is?
I have this stuff that you iron on to fabric and then peel off the paper and it leaves a shiny stuff on the fabric. I think it may be something called wonder under?
Is that the same thing? Why I am asking is I was sent a pattern kit to make a Funky Punkin Table Runner and I want to make it but its calling for fusible webbing.

JanetM 09-22-2011 11:25 AM

Yes, Wonder Under is fusible web. Steam a Seam, and Steam a Seam 2 are also fusible webs. There are many different brands available.

If you haven't used fusible web before, please be careful not to get it on your iron. There are silicone pressing sheets that can be used like a pressing cloth to protect your ironing board and iron. If you don't have one, you can use parchment paper.

Airwick156 09-22-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Yes, Wonder Under is fusible web. Steam a Seam, and Steam a Seam 2 are also fusible webs. There are many different brands available.

If you haven't used fusible web before, please be careful not to get it on your iron. There are silicone pressing sheets that can be used like a pressing cloth to protect your ironing board and iron. If you don't have one, you can use parchment paper.

Thank you Janet. I thought that it may be the same. I have used it before and lol yep I ironed it on the wrong side one time..oh that was awful getting that stuff off my iron. I actually was told to put some salt on a paper sack and iron it and I did and it did come off.

Kathy Osterby 09-22-2011 11:50 AM

I have accidently gotten the wonder under on my iron and was told to use a dryer sheet to get it off. You iron the sheet bur make sure you have something down to protect the ironing board cover or you will need to wash it.The iron will be good as new.

MsMel 09-22-2011 11:57 AM

Never tried it, but I have been told vinegar works as well..

nativetexan 09-22-2011 12:04 PM

when using fusible web, it's best to have a teflon ironing/pressing sheet too. i have a large one and sometimes lay it on the ironing board and flip some over on top of my applique before i set the iron to it.

Candace 09-22-2011 01:23 PM

There are several different types and quite a few manufacturers. There are some fusibles that CAN'T be sewn. So, make sure you know what you have.

vicki reno 09-22-2011 01:29 PM

I do a lot of applique. if you have a pressing sheet, buy the kind of fusible w/out the paper. It's called Misty Fuse or some call it fine fuse. It's even finer than a dryer sheet and will not add bulk to the applique pieces. i pin my pattern to it and cut it out and fuse it to the back of my applique using my pressing sheet. After it has cooled, it will peel right off and is ready to be fused to the background fabric. You will have to top stitch it afterwards, but it is usually necessary to do that with all fusibles anyway.

nls 09-22-2011 05:40 PM

Used dryer sheets are great to clean the iron.