Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   garage sale fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garage-sale-fabric-t67499.html)

bearisgray 09-29-2010 08:01 PM

My sister and I went to an all-town garage sale Saturday. I think we made more than 40 stops - we started at 8 AM and stopped around 4:30 PM

I found fabric (any at all) at only three places.

So - I would not recommend PLANNING on acquiring a stash at garage sales. Finding piles of fabric for cheap is in the same category as getting a high-paying lottery ticket.

Overall, I did make out like a bandit on Saturday, but my fabric "take" was comparatively small.

If people do have quilting type fabrics, it is usually gone quickly.
I didn't notice much craft stuff (knitting, embroidery, scrapbooking), either.

karate lady 09-29-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
My sister and I went to an all-town garage sale Saturday. I think we made more than 40 stops - we started at 8 AM and stopped around 4:30 PM

I found fabric (any at all) at only three places.

So - I would not recommend PLANNING on acquiring a stash at garage sales. Finding piles of fabric for cheap is in the same category as getting a high-paying lottery ticket.

Overall, I did make out like a bandit on Saturday, but my fabric "take" was comparatively small.

If people do have quilting type fabrics, it is usually gone quickly.
I didn't notice much craft stuff (knitting, embroidery, scrapbooking), either.

i watch for estate sales and twice I have found sales where it was all about fabric. parent died and they sold her collection.

litacats 09-29-2010 09:11 PM

i watch for estate sales and twice I have found sales where it was all about fabric. parent died and they sold her collection.[/quote]

that is so sad that they do not carry on the tradition.
a few years ago i could have got all my MIL's material but i declined thru personal reasons.

mygirl66 09-30-2010 04:00 AM

Go to estatesales.net. Put your location in and you will get notifications when they have them in your area. They post pic's as well as a full listing of what there is. This is how I have found a chunk of my stash!

CarrieAnne 09-30-2010 04:07 AM

I never find it either. Must be luck. One lady here found a bunch of 30' fabs at a garage sale, LUCKY DUCK!

thequilterslink 09-30-2010 06:36 AM

I usually find some each time i go out, anywhere from 1 piece to yards and yards., must be a lot of quilters in this area.

Janie Q 09-30-2010 06:45 AM

I get our local paper online (free) and every Thursday check the sales. Last week there were 3 sales with fabric. Estate sales are the best for older fabrics and quilts. I also check out any sale that lists a sewing machine. I haven't found a featherweight yet!

willferg 09-30-2010 06:48 AM

I don't go out randomly; I search for "fabric" under garage sales on www.craigslist.org. Sometimes I even email to see if the fabric listed is cotton suitable for quilting...hate to go and find it's all upholstery fabric!

bearisgray 09-30-2010 09:39 AM

I admit - I don't preplan my trips - I'm a "follow the arrow" garage saler.

elsieirene 09-30-2010 09:47 AM

I have to agree with you. I do beading and quilting. I don"t see much out there. You can check on Craigs list.

Lot's of luck, elsie