Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Garage sale find.. need your help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garage-sale-find-need-your-help-t305593.html)

juliasb 07-04-2019 04:51 AM

Garage sale find.. need your help

1 Attachment(s)
I found another treasure at a garage sale the bag was dated June 1942. It was in an old trunk of things. Marked $1. To my surprise there were 45 hand pieced quilt blocks. Of course I grabbed them up. The block is one that I am unfamiliar with. It is very nicely pieced. The background is unbleached muslin. They look like they have been untouched since they were stored away and are in good shape.
My plan is to make the intended quilt out of the blocks. I am thinking of putting a 1 1/2" shashing between the blocks. Each block is 8 1/2" unfinished. Or maybe group them together side by side then add a couple boarders to the outer sides of the quilt. On the slim possibility that I need to make a few more blocks to get the size quilt I want it would be nice to know what the block is called and obtain a copy of the pattern. One of my weak points it re-creating a pattern. I do appreciate you help. Here is a pic of one of the blocks.

Tartan 07-04-2019 06:37 AM

​It looks like it could be vintage Daisy Pinwheel blocks. Some versions have the center and some don’t. Whatever you decide to do with them, they deserve a rescue!

Iceblossom 07-04-2019 07:05 AM

That would be easy to draft out if needed.

Are all the centers green?

I think a standard sashing would be one very appealing way to put it together but I believe it would also be likely to have alternate plain blocks, probably basic muslin but potentially solid colors or even prints (less likely) with heavy quilting between them.

It's part of the problem for us today, the patterns back then usually didn't go too much into details like layout and such. Just a block pattern in black and white and a few suggestions to go on. So honor the blocks but keep true to yourself.

Grats on the find! It's so exciting when it happens.

Macybaby 07-04-2019 07:09 AM

My niece found a set of vintage scrappy churn dash blocks at a garage sale and asked if I could put them together. Unfortunately this set wasn't very well done, so I started with sashing each one with a solid border in assorted colors that looked good with each block. Then I trimmed them all to the same size squares. I sashed with unbleached muslin and really like the way they turned out.

QuiltnNan 07-04-2019 07:19 AM

i don't know the name, but I like the idea of sashing them... like every one is framed, because they are a treasure

bearisgray 07-04-2019 07:22 AM

I wonder if those fabrics were washed first.

Some of muslins shrink a lot!!!!!!!!

zozee 07-04-2019 07:24 AM

Wait---did you find the whole trunk and lot for $1, or was each block $1?

juliasb 07-04-2019 07:37 AM

The whole lot was a dollar. These 45 block were one of the best finds in a very long time. There were many items in the trunk I picked up a couple feed sacks ($2.00 each). I did a lot of looking but only purchased these 3 items.

juliasb 07-04-2019 07:39 AM

They feel like the muslin was prewashed. I don't feel any kind of sizing and many of the blocks are quite wrinkled. I have pressed them once already. With the age of the blocks however look and feel could be deceiving.

Jordan 07-04-2019 07:43 AM

You certainly did find a treasure and all for a $1. Very nice quilt blocks and you could make a pretty good size quilt with 45 blocks. Especially if you put some sashing in between the blocks. Very lucky find.