Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Garage Sale Jackpot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garage-sale-jackpot-t213346.html)

erstan947 02-09-2013 11:21 AM

Go Girl.....scraps are the best♥

sherryl1 02-10-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25 (Post 5848642)
A local garage sale - 6 large bags of offcuts/scraps, $30 spent and I am in fabric scrap heaven - sorting, cutting off selvages (for my stash), oohing and aahing. This lady was selling her house and downsizing and she had so much fabric so I had to restrain myself to just the scrap bags and a few fat quarter pieces. She had quilts and quilt tops for sale, heaps of patterns, a whole wall of quilt magazines - I can't imagine how she managed to pick what she wanted to keep and sell, it must have been agonising !

I spent all afternoon sorting them and even got to sew a few scraps into some blocks I am currently working on.

where is this sale?

jbj137 02-10-2013 07:36 AM

I love it when someone hits the jackpot.

I did a few months ago when I answered an ad on CL.
2 tubs of scraps for $15 but had a lot of big pieces.

When she found out I was a quilter and the 1st caller she saved it for me.

Have made 5 lap sized quilt tops (just from the scraps).

Debbie C 02-10-2013 08:10 AM

Congratulations on finding a featherweight, Sue - you're going to love sewing on her - please post a photo!!

Originally Posted by w7sue (Post 5848650)
I absolutely love it when I find a garage sale with quilting stuff ... today was my lucky day a beautiful little Featherweight (1947, I think) for $250 - they were asking $295!

I love making scrap quilts and it is always fun to get someone's scraps to add to my scrappy quilts - mostly because it is almost always fabric that I don't have. My last fabric score was a great stash of plaids/stripes for $20 at a sale last summer. I have half of a top made already from that (and a few shirts purchased from our local Goodwill Bin Store).

Have fun, enjoy!

MargeD 02-10-2013 08:14 AM

Congratulations on your lucky find. I'm sure it was fun going through all the scraps and finding out what was in your "treasure" scrap pile. Happy quilting.

wolph33 02-10-2013 08:48 AM

great find.I love using other peoples scraps-more fun than using my own for some reason

quilt queen 02-10-2013 08:52 AM

I just am so jealous no, really i am very happy for you, i just love to sit infront of a tv and do the mindless job of cutting and sorting..have fun1

MaryMo 02-10-2013 08:56 AM

finding bargains is like walking on clouds! that euphoric feeling just carries me away to heaven for a few days! and then when I sew with them, I have that feeling all over again. kudos to you for your organization!

sunny42539 02-10-2013 11:18 AM

I wish I could find good fabric sales around here. Must not be many who quilt here.

JNCT14 02-10-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gladys (Post 5848712)
I am so happy for you and anyone else who hits the jackpot like this-congratulations! (I can't help but wonder why oh why can't it be me just once.;)..LOL )

I am with you Gladys - I can never seem to find garage sales or Ecycle or anything like that where they have fabric for sale. Boo!