Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Garden gloves for free motion quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garden-gloves-free-motion-quilting-t37578.html)

cuppi duke 02-21-2010 06:10 PM

When I saw the price of quilting gloves with the little rubber jobbies on the fingers and palms I decided I didn't need them that bad. I happened to be in our local dollar store and they had cotton gloves with little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers so I bought a pair to try. They work just as good and when go to town again I am going to buy several more pairs.

Aunt Doggie 02-21-2010 06:19 PM

I was at our local Jewel Food store, and they had two pair of garden gloves, for $1.99..... They are a lightweight cotton with the rubber nubbies on them and I couldn't be happier with them! They are also a cool purple color!

I said to myself...SCORE!! as I tossed them into my cart!!

Love keeping my eyes open for these!!

:)

justwannaquilt 02-21-2010 06:21 PM

Don't ya just love how they give something a fancy name and charge an arm and a leg for it? I do the same thing, buy the gloves with rubber nubbies.

b.zang 02-21-2010 07:02 PM

I found some garden gloves that are rubber on the front and stretchy something on the back. They fit like a glove (duh), nice and tight, and grip like crazy. Of course, I now wish I had a spare pair, but never wash these so they should last a long time.
Every time I get into the garden department of a store, or a garden center, I check out the gloves!

craftybear 02-21-2010 07:05 PM

Wow, I will need to find me a pair of garden gloves. I always wondered if they would be good for free motion quilting.

Karen

Barb_MO 02-21-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
I found some garden gloves that are rubber on the front and stretchy something on the back. They fit like a glove (duh), nice and tight, and grip like crazy. Of course, I now wish I had a spare pair, but never wash these so they should last a long time.
Every time I get into the garden department of a store, or a garden center, I check out the gloves!

I wear this type glove for all my outdoor work. They do fit really good. I get mine at Home Depot. I've had four or five pairs because I use them for a lot of rough work.

Next time I've at HD, I'm getting me a new pair for quilting.

craftiladi 02-21-2010 08:45 PM

Yep, I have used garden gloves for a while now, I also get my at Home Depot-just tore the tag off-now i wish i would have kept it so I could share which ones I use...they aren't cotton but feel like stretchy nylon and have the grippy fingers. i love them-fit really well, apose to garden gloves that usually fit me to lose.

sewcrazygirl 02-21-2010 09:03 PM

Ok you geniuses -- what you use under the hoop when you FMQ or FME (Embroider) - I heard you need some kind of teflon sheet to make it slippery so it moves easily. What non quilting item can you use that wont cost me a fortune?

ScubaK 02-21-2010 10:12 PM

I bought a pair of these gloves at the dollar store awhile back because I couldn't see a difference except in price.
I love 'em for the few times I have done free motion.
Kirsten

katier825 02-22-2010 01:55 AM

I started out using garden gloves for FMQ. They were ok, but didn't grip as much as I hoped they would. Plus they were hot. I came across some quilting gloves called Machingers for under $10. I love them! They grip much better, are better fitting, cooler and I can even thread the needle without removing them! They are the best $10 quilting item I've bought. :)