Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   GASP! Small fabric piece is now damaged in completed quilt top! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gasp-small-fabric-piece-now-damaged-completed-quilt-top-t223582.html)

MadQuilter 06-13-2013 10:22 AM

Applique does not have to be flowers and butterflies. Slip-stitch a matching square over the existing patch and nobody will ever know. If you have all the pieces of the bad patch (i.e. it is "only" ripped) you could first put a piece of iron-on interfacing under the rip and secure it with an iron.

Jan in VA 06-13-2013 10:48 AM

It really is easier to remove the offending piece from the block than you think. Just pick out the seams around it about one inch further than the piece is sized. You can even do this by machine. Just take your time, press the seams open so that they are not pushed to one side and are therefore easier to work with, replace the section, re-sew the seams a bit at a time.

Good luck!

Jan in VA

tropit 06-13-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. I did go ahead and take out the offending square and replace it. It was much easier than I thought it would be and only took a few minutes. I even did it by machine. One of the corner points didn't quite match up with the rest of the quilt, but I'm not going to sweat it. Overall it looks soooooo much better.

~ Cindy

ManiacQuilter2 06-13-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6119807)
It can be fixed. You have to take the seams that touch the bad piece out the 1/4 in. seam allowance, and insert the new piece by hand probably. I had to do this on a wedding ring quilt of my Mother-in-Law.

I agree with Barny. It is what I hate to do. If you take the offending piece out, there will be less bulk when you applique the new piece in. Good Luck !! As they say, been there, done that !!!

Rosyhf 06-13-2013 11:55 AM

I agree with Dunster. Remember when I set my quilt on fire hahahahah, yeh, I just dreplace the section that was damaged, thank goodness it's not quilted yet and you can do it easily.

quiltyfeelings 06-13-2013 12:27 PM

Using a seam ripper, take out the offending piece. Iron it flat, measure, cut new piece, and sew ! Ta-da! You won't be disappointed!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-13-2013 12:39 PM

I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you.

bearisgray 06-13-2013 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6120217)
Thanks for all of your helpful replies. I did go ahead and take out the offending square and replace it. It was much easier than I thought it would be and only took a few minutes. I even did it by machine. One of the corner points didn't quite match up with the rest of the quilt, but I'm not going to sweat it. Overall it looks soooooo much better.

~ Cindy

:thumbup: If you had the fabric available, that really was the best solution.

joyce888 06-13-2013 12:55 PM

Glad to hear you we're able to fix it.

Jan in VA 06-13-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf (Post 6120284)
.....Remember when I set my quilt on fire hahahahah........

Wait,......what??? You set a quilt on fire??!!:shock::eek:

Jan in VA