Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gee-i-have-expensive-hobby-seems-t179984.html)

JudyMN 02-19-2012 07:26 PM

Just went to buy batting and had sticker shock. $39 for a queen size and no one sees the batting! I could buy cheaper blankets to use for the batting than Warm and Natural. Do I really need 100% cotton? Synthetic blankets are less expensive.

mighty 02-19-2012 07:30 PM

Expensive YES!! I just try to get a much as I can on sale!!!

Pickles 02-19-2012 07:31 PM

I use the cheaper Blankets and they work just fine for me.

wattse2000 02-19-2012 07:38 PM

My next quilt is going to be cordouroy from mens shirts purchased at the thrift store! Otherwise, I scrounge fat quarters here and there and make everything scrappy! Batting and backing isn't so bad with 40% coupons from joanns. It's when I get the itch for those designer fabrics that I get in real trouble!

gingerd 02-19-2012 07:53 PM

Yes, this is expensive! I've just gotten back into it and honestly and seriously thinking about it. I have kits that I've purchased and will complete those.

Due to not quilting in years I don't have much of a stash. Once I finish the kits, I'll decide what to do from there.

Patterns......now, I've accumulated enough of those. I don't need anymore.
Tools........I think I have all that I need.

Mine is a "wait and see" and then I'll decide. I have two tops/backs completed and am working on another that I won't quilt now. That is probably what I'll do with the kits. I'll complete them, but not have them sent to be quilted unless I need a gift.

I've had 4 quilted and dropped a 5th off today to get quilted (it's a gift) since the middle of October. I enjoy it and love looking at what everyone has done. I just don't know that this can be a long term hobby for me.

BellaBoo 02-19-2012 07:55 PM

I'm glad I stocked up on lots of sales over the year of quilt shop quality when I though $8 was a lot for a yard!

AliKat 02-19-2012 09:12 PM

Well, I don't drink or smoke. I can't bowl or play golf. I'd love to go back to the long desert walking I used to do, but as my world sorta shrinks ... well, quilting enlarges it... and ... it cheaper than psychotherapy.

I have met so many wonderful quilters and had such fun. Yes, I am slow ... but it is my time. If I'm not up to quilting I can always come to the QB.

I am also lucky that the two groups give us the materials to make the charity quilts. So when my resources are low I can still quilt.

ali

sewingsuz 02-19-2012 09:43 PM

Yes I agree, it is expensive. I try to keep it down and only buy what I need on sale and using my stash. I have a lot invested. This is in my sewing and Jewelry making beads, tools, and findings.

JanTx 02-19-2012 09:55 PM

What everyone has said - buy onsale - sew with what I have. Let family know my best gift is a certificate from my LQS. I buy fabric wherever they sell it so ... not all quilt shop fabrics. I buy bundles - Fabric Cafe has many - that come out to less than $8/yd - sometimes MUCH less. I use those as stash - not always keeping them together as a bundle. My LQS has a sale shelf for $3.99/yd and another for $5.99. I shop those shelves first. Batting - always half price - Joann's puts it on sale too often to pay more. Won't buy it otherwise. I've used Walmart sheets for backing. I simply love this too much to give it up! I only have special gifts quilted - that translates to 4 of the 50 I've made in the last two years. Just can't afford that!

SoSewSue 02-19-2012 11:21 PM

I agree - as a new quilter - I find it particularly so, as I have no stash and until recently had very few tools. (When I started in Nov I already had a rotary cutter and matt - so I thought "I'm set". LOL.).

Due to the cost of the fabric (~£10/meter here!) I am surprised I see so many magazine articles about "Fast" and "Quick" and do-it-in-a-weekend projects. Geesh at these prices I want this project to laaaaaast a while so I can maximize my cost:enjoyment ratio!