Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is the general public really that ignorant? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/general-public-really-ignorant-t229059.html)

AlienQuilter 08-30-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise (Post 6263556)
I'm doing my first craft fair in October, and am already bracing myself for the folks who think my prices are "too high". My lap quilts range from $40-$60, which is a STEAL, but I'm sure I'll hear plenty of the "but I can get one at Walmart for $25" remarks. I figure, let 'em go ahead and buy one at Walmart. The ones I've seen are poorly made, and constructed of thin fabrics. When it falls apart after 3 washings, they better not come crying to me! :D :rolleyes: (And they SURE better not ask me to repair it! :shock: LOL!)

Wow - it lasted through 3 washings! I had one that dissolved after just one washing! I saw one of those bed in a bags at K-mart the other day for $60. It was not even pieced - it was a whole cloth wedding ring and the fabric was real thin. I just finished last month an Asian quilt top that I'm pretty sure I have around $200 just in the fabric for the top. Haven't quilted it yet because I'm still looking for backing fabric. I want a solid back with black background and gold designs on it. Probably take me a while to find something like that. I have been googling quite a bit and haven't found what I want. Also trying to find a white/red toile backing fabric for a tumbler quilt. Oh well, I will have fun looking for it.

cindi 08-30-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom (Post 6263555)
I'm sure we've all had relatives who've posed the question "Would you make me a quilt?" Like it was just something we could snap our fingers and complete.

Oh, orangeroom, amen to THAT! One of my relatives literally thought I could make her a quilt - fully pieced, quilted and bound - in 3 days. And it wasn't a simple quilt, either. When I explained to her that just piecing the pattern she wanted done would take at least 2 weeks of working almost full-time on it, she looked at me quizzically and said "why would it take that long? It doesn't look THAT difficult!". Groan. Needless to say, she never got that quilt.

Neesie 08-30-2013 05:42 AM

Oh, a pieced quilt can certainly be made cheaply . . . but it'll also look like it was made cheaply.

Some quilts are very cheap because the quilter charges very little, for her time.

HillCountryGal 08-30-2013 05:42 AM

Short answer:

YES

Neesie 08-30-2013 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6263797)
Oh, orangeroom, amen to THAT! One of my relatives literally thought I could make her a quilt - fully pieced, quilted and bound - in 3 days. And it wasn't a simple quilt, either. When I explained to her that just piecing the pattern she wanted done would take at least 2 weeks of working almost full-time on it, she looked at me quizzically and said "why would it take that long? It doesn't look THAT difficult!". Groan. Needless to say, she never got that quilt.

You should have offered to help get HER started, making it!

pocoellie 08-30-2013 06:25 AM

No, I don't think you were too high. Who knows if he really does have a quote for $75, and if so, I can just about guarantee you that the fabric isn't great and probably nothing else is either. Let the guy get his $75 quilts, and don't worry about it.

susie-susie-susie 08-30-2013 07:29 AM

That is why I wouldn't make a quilt on commission. I would rather give it away if the person asking is a close friend. I recently made 2 Bow Tuck bags for 2 very good friends just because. They didn't ask me to make them a purse, but admired the one that I was carrying. I asked what colors they would like and away I went. I think these people who want you to work for peanuts just want something for nothing.
Sue

Peckish 08-30-2013 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6263775)
He may have not gotten that price, just wanted to see if you'd come down to meet it.

This was my thought also.

Peckish 08-30-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6263797)
One of my relatives literally thought I could make her a quilt - fully pieced, quilted and bound - in 3 days.

My MIL did the same thing. She was visiting a few months ago and thought I could assemble some blocks I had stacked in a pile into a quilt top and have it quilted and bound by the time she went back home 2 days later. I just laughed at her and told her to keep on drinking her wine. Lol.

wolph33 08-30-2013 07:37 AM

Yes some people are naive-have no clue the hours of work iron,cutting,piecing,sewing,etc.then the cost when using quality fabric and batting.I have a long time friend who wants a full,a queen and a king.I have not given a price yet but she gave a us a room ac unit and have been friends for most of my adult life.She know she will get a deal but it will not be a walmart price even at that.