Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Get A New Machine Or Repair The Old One (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/get-new-machine-repair-old-one-t4144.html)

ania755 02-18-2008 06:51 AM

Hi Melissa
The old Necchi are wonderful machines....A friend of mine has one (and she inherited it from her mom (we are both over 50..lol).....
We would both tell you to try to fix it......This machine should run forever...
Even if you decide to get a new one...Don't get rid of the Necchi...wait for the oportunity to fix it....(The right person will fix it)....
Sometimes its just a bit of luck....

Skeat 02-18-2008 05:50 PM

Here's my 2cents worth:0)A sewing repair man not too far from me says that almost all his repairs are actually collected lint/dirt in them. He cleans them and re-oils and that is about it (almost all the time). Can you peek in there to see if there is anything bunched up w/lint?Might be worth a look. Skeat

ProquiltLongarmARTQUILTER 02-18-2008 07:34 PM

:wink: Yea The Old ones are Better!!! But I remember I got this Singer Stylist ,I cleaned{took the tweezers} and got the lint ,thread etc,then oiled it ,I had to do this 3 times. never thought about it til we moved then got it out decided to clean and oil it and wow it runs like a New One Now. So just keep it up til it works again!!!

Tiffany 02-18-2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Here's my 2cents worth:0)A sewing repair man not too far from me says that almost all his repairs are actually collected lint/dirt in them. He cleans them and re-oils and that is about it (almost all the time). Can you peek in there to see if there is anything bunched up w/lint?Might be worth a look. Skeat

I've got a friend who buys old, supposedly broken sewing machines from garage sales and thrift stores. She cleans them of all the lint, oils them, and the work great. She then sells them and has quite a tidy little business going. She gave a lecture on the subject at one of our guild meetings and she would definitely agree, most problems are simply a lint and oil problem.
~Tiffany

phoenixrose 12-27-2008 05:05 AM

:) :-)

Yes, find a reputable repairer & get it fixed. It's not the amount of $ you paid for it, it's how it works!

I too finally got a treadle as a present a 1914 Singer red eye. I love it and so do my kids! Keep looking, you'll find a treadle for you & your price range someday! They are a treasure!

Roseann

pocoellie 12-27-2008 05:36 AM

There are sewing machine dealers that repair nowadays, but depending on what's wrong with it, it may not be worth repairing. If you like it, find someone who repairs and see what they say. If it's not worth repairing, and you buy another I would definitely stay away from the new Singers. Elna has some fairly low price starter machines, they may not have all the bells and whistles, but they are a good machine.

Elizabeth A. 12-27-2008 05:43 AM

Pop open the phone book. And look up "Sewing Machines"

Note: I did not say click open yellow.com!

Now that you've got that big book in your hands look up sewing machine. Look at it really look at it. First will be listed the dealers, but then you will seem them the little ads. Sewing Machine Repairs -they will list the brands that they repair. Go down the list it might be short it might be long, but a list all the same.

Now that you have those names pick up the phone and call the people. How much for them to look at them. Some places charge to do this and others are free. Not all sewing machine repair people are nice. My repair guy for my sewing machine is a very "brisk" man. Not my favorite person in the world, but he can get his hands on any and every part that I can break. Oh be weary some dealers fix machines and sells new ones - which is not always a bad thing, just be firm that you'd like yours repaired.

There is no doubt in my mind that your machine can be repaired, and most likely for less money than you think. Give that phone book a chance.