Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gett'en out that " nasty old" smell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getten-out-%22-nasty-old%22-smell-t104968.html)

IBQUILTIN 03-05-2011 10:24 AM

I would not have known what to do either, so thanx all you great quilters for the new tips. Have to have some of those insoles right away

cabinqltr 03-05-2011 10:39 AM

I have used unwrapped safeguard soap with fabric in a sealed bag for several days. Worked great for me. Lots of luck. Ruth

lynnie 03-05-2011 12:08 PM

wow, thanks everyone, i hae blocks i hade by hand over 20 yrs ago, in a plastic(duh) bag just found them after being in a basement for all that time, my eyes are even burning, was gonna trash thaem, you might have saved me.

dorrell ann 03-05-2011 01:47 PM

Put a tad of bleach in water than add cloth works every time.

CircleSquare 03-05-2011 02:09 PM

I would simply soak them in mild detergent or oxy-clean, then rinse in a light vinegar solution. Don't let them aggitate or you will have a major mess. Let them tumble in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes, then lay them out and press them if needed.

AliKat 03-05-2011 03:26 PM

I've been told that shaving a bar of Irish Spring and having that in with the material, maybe wrapped in acid free paper, will help with musty and nasty odors.

That was what I was told to do with my FW case as it really smells. It is in my garage.

ali

kidmenot43 03-05-2011 03:49 PM

after I assemble the quilt I use borax and just a little oxy clean in a soak setting in the washer and let it set for a couple of hours and then gentle wash and then I put in the dryer. I haven't had any odors return when I use this method. I am fairly new to quilting so I am not sure if this is an acceptable method or not.

Bev 03-05-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
My 88 yr. old aunt just sent me some hand embroidered pillow cases & crocheted doilies that her mom/my grandmother made. I stacked the doilies with a few fabric softener sheets between some layers. I seems to be working as the pile is sitting on my kitchen table & I don't get the smell that I had when 1st opening the box.

I have used fabric sheets to get the smell out of everything that has a bad smell around the house. It works every time, even if someone gives me something with a smoky smell, and that's the worst! And the good news is that I use the used ones! Yes, I mean the ones that have been used for their original purpose a couple of times. They work just as well. I buy the sheets that have no perfumes because DH is allergic to the others. I keep the grandkids sneakers stuffed with them (I never throw one away after use in the dryer) and the odors are gone in a day or two. Even DH's nasty old running shoes. Try them!!

8-)

Bev 03-05-2011 03:54 PM

One thing more I forgot to mention, if you have musty old books around, put a used dryer sheet between every ten pages or so. The smell will just disappear in a few days. 8-)

memaw 03-05-2011 04:06 PM

hey girls newspaper will get the odor out just wad it up and put in air tight bag for a week or so. do not get newspaper ink on your squares. it also works on feather weight sewing machines and their boxes.