Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting a Bad Rap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-bad-rap-t211015.html)

Spudgm 01-15-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5787614)
I've gotten great stuff at JoAnn's and what turned out to be not-so-great stuff at an LQS. The self appointed 'quilt police' are everywhere. Be polite, smile, but then just ignore them!

What she said!:thumbup:

sassey 01-15-2013 01:00 PM

Miss song Bird your post was so true and to the point

auntpiggylpn 01-15-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5787784)
I have issues with Jo'Anns and the coupon use. They use them to draw in the customers.. but then "game" the use, by putting items on sale , so coupons can not be used. They also seem to inflate prices , so when a sale happens , you are paying normal pricing , but feel like you got a deal... They have wired our brains to look at the "what you saved" in big bold print... rather than what you spent. This is to create the feel good impression.. when in reality the "deal" or savings was not all that wonderful.
I wish they would price more reasonably and forget all the coupon/discount gimicks.

Hobby Lobby has done this for years before Joanns jumped on the same bandwagon. Their fabric is always on sale ecxept for their seasonal.

nygal 01-15-2013 01:51 PM

I love Joanns. I especially enjoy using their coupons as often as possible. A lot of their fabrics are excellent quality. Some are not. But I know the difference so it's not a big stumbling block for me.

KansasGirl 01-15-2013 02:03 PM

I shop at Joanns and Hancocks quite frequently and have gotten into the habit of asking the "cutter" before they cut what the price of that fabric will be. Too many times, I thought something was on sale and it looked like it was on sale but then when I checked out it wasn't the price I thought it was going to be. Just a week ago at Hancocks they were getting ready to cut my fabric when I asked about the price. They told me it was $$$ (the regular price)so I asked the clerk to come and look at where I found the fabric and then to look at the price. I was right, it was on sale. Also, if you buy from Walmart be sure to stand there and watch them cut it. Our Walmart has teenagers who have no idea what they are doing and you end up with either more than a yard or less than a yard.

Jingle 01-15-2013 02:12 PM

I buy fabrics from several stores and several online. I buy what I like and that is all I go by. One can usually tell how good the fabric is by the feel of it.

meldmac 01-15-2013 02:33 PM

I cant vouch for the quality of fabrics at any store but as far as the coupon thing goes all stores do this to an extent it's not just Joannes.

ube quilting 01-15-2013 02:48 PM

Maybe you are just to young to have any memory of what JoAnn's used to be like. I was a great supporter of the store for years and spent a lot of my pay checks there. It isn't a matter of quality, It's assortment. They have moved to having more fabric bundles and pre packaged fabric and less yardage. The last time I was there I found three shades of yellow and no orange. Whats up with that?

I'm old enought to know that as time changes, blah, blah, blah...... Sometimes things don't change for the better but for the dollar.
peace

EDIT: @ Stillclock: You couldn't have said it better!

luvTooQuilt 01-15-2013 03:04 PM

I buy the best quality for less buck... Me personally, wont spend $14/yard ever... Ill visit the clearance, end of bolt or remnant bins instead.. I know for one my friends and family wont care that the quilt i gave them had last seasons fabric anyway.. They will love the quilt for the love I put in it makin it..

Jackie Spencer 01-15-2013 03:10 PM

To each his own. I think you should be able to purchase fabric anywhere you want, with out having someone look down their nose at you. Whether it be JoAnn's or at your LQS. I shop at JoAnn's for, batting, notions, floss and dress making fabric for my Granddaughters, I do however prefer to buy my quilting fabric at Quilt Shops, usually at sale prices. Im just like everybody else, Im not the police. I just know what I like.