Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting a Brain Cramp (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-brain-cramp-t214712.html)

Beehiveof9 02-24-2013 06:50 AM

Getting a Brain Cramp

After a thread about fabric layouts for this pattern I had to take a look. I've always wanted to do a Lone Star, and this pattern seemed to spell it out so easily.

So there I was reading it, thinking about what I had in my stash to try it out and I suddenly got stuck. How in the world does this make any sense?

(Now mind you, we've had sick kids all week here, and my brain turned to mush days ago... so bear with me!)

I don't get how when after you sew the 2.5 inch pieces together, how cutting the 45 degree angles makes something square, with perpendicular angles, into the diamond shape with the... what is it supposed to be, 60 degree angles?

Has anyone used this pattern, and actually made the star from it?

Help! I'm totally distracted by this. LOL!

peacebypiece 02-24-2013 08:03 AM

I would check the Windham Fabrics website for any pattern corrections. I suspect there is a typo there.
Here's how I understand the directions. You make strip sets. Then you cut the stripsets into the diamonds for each star point. One of your quilting rulers should have a 60 degree line on it. Don't overthink this. It is not rocket science.
I really think the reference to 45 degree angles and squares is a misprint. Just look at the picture.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2013 08:03 AM

Well, I don't know if this helps, but an 8 pointed star has 45 degree angles, not 60, a six pointed star uses 60 degrees (360/8 = 45, 360/6 = 60). I looked at the pattern and don't see 60 degrees anywhere, Where do they refer to 60 degrees??? I haven't used this exact pattern, but I've made this star with this technique. Maybe cut a few strips of scrap fabric or paper to see how it goes together.

Annaquilts 02-24-2013 08:11 AM

Well the first thing that popped up it said the pattern was tested. LOL One other odd thing it says the quilt size is 60x80. From the looks of the pattern I would think it is square unless you'd add strips lenght wise after finnishing the square.

peacebypiece 02-24-2013 08:21 AM

To paperprinces: Oops! Thanks for pointing out that I also read it wrong. 45 degrees is correct. The "square" reference is not. The picture is correct. I just didn't count correctly.

Beehiveof9 02-24-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5884568)
Well, I don't know if this helps, but an 8 pointed star has 45 degree angles, not 60, a six pointed star uses 60 degrees (360/8 = 45, 360/6 = 60). I looked at the pattern and don't see 60 degrees anywhere, Where do they refer to 60 degrees??? I haven't used this exact pattern, but I've made this star with this technique. Maybe cut a few strips of scrap fabric or paper to see how it goes together.

Um... no reference in the directions about the 60 degree angle, I think I mistook the 6 pointed star angles for teh 8 pointed. My bad.

So let me rethink this then...

You cut the 2.5 inch STRIPS and sew them together, THEN cut a diamond shape? No, that can't be right.... I guess I'm not picturing how you put the units together and when to cut the 45 degree angle.

And yeah, I do believe whoever said I am way overthinking this is correct. :o

Beehiveof9 02-24-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece (Post 5884567)
I would check the Windham Fabrics website for any pattern corrections. I suspect there is a typo there.
Here's how I understand the directions. You make strip sets. Then you cut the stripsets into the diamonds for each star point. One of your quilting rulers should have a 60 degree line on it. Don't overthink this. It is not rocket science.
I really think the reference to 45 degree angles and squares is a misprint. Just look at the picture.

that is what I was thinking... But Paperprincess pointed out about the 8 pointed star having 45 degree angles. So..... maybe not. LOL

PaperPrincess 02-24-2013 09:04 AM

OK, here's a pretty good video:
They offset their strips, which helps save fabric, but you don't have to ( the pattern you are using doesn't mention this)
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...Diamonds_Video

Beehiveof9 02-24-2013 09:16 AM

Oh my, that is helpful, thank you! You're me hero. My brain can rest easy now. LOL!

ckcowl 02-24-2013 09:53 AM

i have made a few lone star quilts- this one is the (normal) way- and you do cut 45 degrees. i think you are trying to over think it- and you are not cutting anything square---the segments will not be (square) they will be made up of diamond shaped segments with 45 degree angles on each end. use some scrap fabric and put together a strip set & try it out- once you cut & lay out a few sections you will see how it goes together & works.