Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting ready for a retreat, help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-ready-retreat-help-please-t285070.html)

cindynvb 01-08-2017 10:11 AM

Getting ready for a retreat, help please

Hi everyone,

I'm going on a 4 day retreat the end of the month and am not sure what to bring. I will bring 2 sewing machines, just in case, and my hand piecing project. Not sure how to choose among the many projects I have begun. Any ideas, helpful hints? I've only went on 1 other retreat so any advice will be welcome.

patski 01-08-2017 10:21 AM

easy projects, lots of talking and fun at retreats. Also take "treats". I always take painters tape, marking pens, extra rotary blade and an extra seam ripper. Mark your things with the name only portion of a label you get in the mail. (like from a charity) that way you won't have your things taken by mistake. We always play games with the exchange of fat quarters or strips to check to see if you need to take that. Most of all pack up your happy self and enjoy

ckcowl 01-08-2017 10:59 AM

If taking a hand project why 2 machines?
The retreats I have gone to gave me a supply list when I signed up so I knew what I would need.
i would think a sewing kit with all your essential tools, cutting may, ruler, cutter, scissors. Small travel iron & ironing mat.

PaperPrincess 01-08-2017 11:05 AM

Mark everything, including foot pedals, sewing machine manuals, surge suppressor, printed patterns, magazines, books etc. Anything with an electric plug I label at the end that goes into the outlet. This way your stuff doesn't get unplugged by mistake. Find out if beverages will be allowed in the sewing area. You may be allowed water in a container that seals so may want to bring a thermal cup.

SingerSewer 01-08-2017 12:21 PM

Retreats are so much fun. I agree about marking things. We have people who complete a couple of quilt tops then we have me. I go for the fun and sometimes get a couple of small projects completed or nearly. We usually have around 30 attending. The lady that owns the retreat always tells us we laugh more than any other groups she has. We take that as a compliment because that is what it is all about to most of us.

Have fun and be sure let us know how it goes for you. Where is the retreat held?

sewingitalltogether 01-08-2017 12:39 PM

I like to bring one of my big UFO projects. The retreat will give you a big chunk of time to complete something. I have a retreat in March and will be bringing a Judy Neimeyer pattern called Raindrops. Of course you need all the stuff that goes with it. Extra supplies. Yes, and snacks.

sweetana3 01-08-2017 12:49 PM

I bring a project for each day so I have alternates and wont get bored. Realize you wont have adequate cutting space or probably a design wall and not a huge amount of table space. Bring projects that do not require loads of space for layouts. Blocks are good. Simple sewing is good. Applique is good. You also dont want projects that will hog a limited number of irons. Not everyone can have an iron due to most electrical systems and you have to share.

Try to have material preironed so it only needs some touch up. Big cutting out projects can be an issue if the cutting boards are not at the right height.

Just some things to think about.

sewingitalltogether 01-08-2017 01:11 PM

We are give our own table and have plenty of room to spread out. I usually bring my small ironing board and iron for the right side of my machine and my cutting mat for the left hand side. There are 24 of us in 2 big rooms. Each room usually someone puts up a design wall. We have a big cutting station in the middle of each room. And at least 2 ironing stations also. One lady in our group brings her big ironing board. I would ask about the facilities and what is available for use.

QuiltnNan 01-08-2017 03:07 PM

I saved this to my QB blog from a previous thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/g...st-b11684.html

QuiltnNan 01-08-2017 03:22 PM

and member andylou posted this comment to my blog; found it very interesting: "Also, when our group goes on retreat each of us has an envelope under her sewing machine, only to be opened if the quilter needs medical attention. Lists a couple of family members to be contacted, doctor name and phone (including emergency number), list of medicines and medical problems, etc. This came about because once a member needed emergency medical care, of none of us knew the name/phone number of her daughter (she's a widow). Also, none of us knew of any existing medical conditions, etc. Have fun on your first retreat....I'm sure it will not be your last."