Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting seams to go in opposite directions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-seams-go-opposite-directions-t247933.html)

navasota320 06-04-2014 01:13 PM

Getting seams to go in opposite directions

I hope this question makes sense to someone. I've made my quilt squares and pressed all seams as directed. Now that it's time to put the squares together where the seams come together they are going in the same direction. Quilt directions say to have those seams going in opposite directions. Do I need to go back and repress? I want to get this done this afternoon so would someone advise me.

Jan in VA 06-04-2014 01:33 PM

Yes, sometimes I have to do this, too. I feel it's worth it over all.

Jan in VA

Tartan 06-04-2014 01:36 PM

Your blocks with go together better with nesting seams. "Nesting seams" are when the blocks sewn together with the seam allowances going in opposite directions. I try to do this but it isn't always possible.

PaperPrincess 06-04-2014 01:36 PM

If the seams go in opposite directions, it's easier to match the intersections and it will lay flatter. It won't effect the wearablility of the quilt, but thicker intersections may make it more difficult to quilt.
I personally would re press because for me it makes the rest of the process easier. Why don't you re press one row sew it, then try one without repressing & see how it compares.

ckcowl 06-04-2014 01:55 PM

If you pressed as directed and the instructions state they should 'nest' go back through and make sure you have them turned correctly it is really easy to turn blocks the wrong way sometimes. If that is not the case you can either repress the ones you need to or you can finger press enough to nest your seams and wait to press the finished blocks

Terri D. 06-04-2014 02:12 PM

It will be so much easier to match your seam intersections if your seam allowances are pressed in opposite directions. It also reduces the bulk where they come together and allows you to avoid sewing over those pesky humps that are created when seam allowances face the same direction.

NJ Quilter 06-04-2014 03:26 PM

This is why I press my seams open most times. Find the blocks lay flatter and no worries about which way things are pressed. Haven't found it affects quilting at all. Other than things being flatter and I find that easier to work with.

nativetexan 06-04-2014 04:40 PM

If i've pressed them the same way, when i sew the rows together, i tend to pin the seam over. Then go press again well.

AliKat 06-04-2014 08:26 PM

This is also another example of the need to read the direction first. Quite often the pattern makers/writers do make mistakes. I've often rewritten the instructions for myself for that very reason.

Just finished a quilt and the nationally publlished well known quilt designer wrote to press seams open. I got some fabric I didn't need from my stash and made some practice blocks. Sure enough, the seams could be pressed to the side, all to the same color, and they the seams all nested perfectly. Since I don't like to use pins when sewing it made the process more fun for me.

bjrusty 06-11-2014 05:08 AM

yes, repress the seams in opposite directions. Barb