Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   getting a smooth lining (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-smooth-lining-t121.html)

Doris 11-23-2006 07:12 AM

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my lining the same size as the rest of my quilt. No matter how hard I try I get puffy spots or end up with to much lining. I baste with curved safety pins, even use bsting spray, sew with a walking foot but no matter how hard I try I still have trouble.
I am working on prayer quilts for my church and when I tack the quilts
theres alwayw "puffy" places in the lining. {Don't know what else to
call it>}
Thanks, Doris

Boo 11-23-2006 03:52 PM

Doris, It is always a good idea to afix your quilt back to something before basting. Your batting and top can remain free, but the backing needs to be anchored to prevent your puffing problem. I use a cutting table, but before the cutting table used my glass topped dining room table. I got a set of binder from the office supply store. Be sure to get ones large enough to clamp to the table. Smooth out your quilt back face down on the table, centering the back on the table, and attach the binder clips. next lay center of batting, then the quilt top face up. Begining at the middle start your basting or pinning. When you are out of table, undo the binder clips and move to another section. This may seem quite tedious, but definately worth the trouble. One last tip, your quilt back should be larger than the top by approx. 2" all the way around, more is better.

Let me know if this solves your problem, and if there is anything else we can help you with.

Doris J 01-03-2007 04:20 PM

I do thank you for your tip, will try your suggestion on my large rectangular dining room table. Seem's like some material is worse than others to get the slack or [puffy] areas in the lining. I am trying to not use anything lighter for lining than a good quality broad cloth.
Thanks again. Doris

Yvonne 01-03-2007 08:22 PM

Doris, I pin my quilts on my dining room table also. I tape the backing to the table with painter's tape. I don't pull it too tight though, just smooth and snug. I think, in the past, I stretched the back and then when it was released it just shrunk up and wrinkled and made a mess. That was my experience, anyway.

Also, I have found that if I start taking the pins out as I move from the center out that I can smooth out the wrinkles a little better.

The best advice I ever received on machine quilting was to worry only about what was under the needle. Keep it smooth and the rest will follow. For some reason that just made me relax and focus on just what I needed to focus on. Don't worry about the rest of the quilt, it will follow.

Bottom line, keep practicing until you find what works for you. :wink:

Yvonne 01-03-2007 08:23 PM

Just re-read my comments, clear as mud. I pull the pins out as I'm quilting!

Look what I just found, an edit button. I could have used that. Has that been there this whole time? I need to have lessons here!!

Knot Sew 01-06-2007 05:25 AM

my flattest quilt was one I went to walmart and bought a cheap white blanket for batting. [about 5 dollars] I hand quilted it. I plan on getting some blankets at garage sales in the summer. The one from

Walmart was new and was not softened up yet so was easier to use.

Db112527 04-21-2008 04:26 PM

:wink: Sooo glad you gals are giving these tips on smooth backing,about time someone did somewhere, No one seems to tell ya how to do these things.

tlrnhi 04-21-2008 04:49 PM

I use the clips for the backing as well. Clip it down to my table and all is well. I got a container of them....about 10 or 15 for $7 at KMart. They were different sizes, but they all worked for me. I also used them to clip the quilts as I'm quilting.

ProArtQuiltersUnite 04-22-2008 08:19 PM

:wink: I iron it with the batt then add the top and put a little spray to glue it down as I go then I do the Pinning then the quilting. It took a while to get used to, and find out about it ,I might try the blanket thing on certain ones.