Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Giant Dahlia Quilt - Problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giant-dahlia-quilt-problem-t318834.html)

mattwilding 08-02-2022 12:24 PM

Giant Dahlia Quilt - Problem

1 Attachment(s)
Good Evening All,

This is my first post! I’ve been searching the internet for help and have arrived here!!

I’m working on the “Quick and Easy Giant Dahlia Quilt” by Susan Murwin and Suzzy Payne. I bought the pattern book second hand a couple of years ago and have slowly been working my way through it.

I have however become stuck… the main Dahlia is pieced and I’ve set that in it’s square - everything lined up OK. Then I pieced the borders. But when I went to attach them they are far too long!! I’ve used the same seam allowances throughout.

Has anyone else made this particular pattern? Did you have issues too?

Best wishes, happy sewing

Matt

Tartan 08-02-2022 01:15 PM

Can you add borders in the same background fabric to make it large enough that the borders fit?

Quiltwoman44 08-02-2022 01:40 PM

also you might check for any corrections to the pattern that may have been posted. Good luck.Great quilt!

Gay 08-02-2022 02:19 PM

Would it help to make a larger seam at the point of the black pieces. How much too long are the borders?

Quiltwoman44 08-02-2022 02:28 PM

I can't find any corrections listed. it says it has metric conversions, is this a UK pattern? It is so pretty, I hope you figure things out soon.

mattwilding 08-03-2022 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 8561904)
Would it help to make a larger seam at the point of the black pieces. How much too long are the borders?

Much head scratching today. Each border is 2 1/2” too long. There is no easy place to shorten them as it would spoil the pattern.

I think I’ve made a decision to sew a seam in the centre of the black boomerang pieces (thanks for the suggestion Gay)

mattwilding 08-03-2022 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 (Post 8561908)
I can't find any corrections listed. it says it has metric conversions, is this a UK pattern? It is so pretty, I hope you figure things out soon.

It’s all imperial measurements in the pattern I have. It is very pretty and we grow lots of dahlias in our garden :)

osewme 08-03-2022 05:25 PM

Welcome from Texas!

Sounds like you have decided on a solution to your problem. That Dahlia quilt is going to be beautiful. We would love to see a picture of it when you get it finished.

KwiltyKahy 08-04-2022 01:30 PM

Following this thread closely. I have this pattern and used it several years ago. I pieced the pattern, and it became the skirt to a square dance dress Now that I'm not dancing anymore, I plan to turn it into a quilt. I really like that border and look forward to seeing how you solved this problem

Jingle 08-05-2022 12:54 PM

I haven't made it nor anything like it. I think you solved your problem. Good luck.

I mostly make donation quilts and keep them simple.