Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gift ideas for daughters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gift-ideas-daughters-t207143.html)

kgibbons 11-28-2012 06:32 AM

Gift ideas for daughters

Need some ideas.... I have to older daughters 30 & 32 who mean the world to me they are married and have children of their own and I am looking for some ideas to make them something special from me for Xmas...any ideas I would love some suggestions and any pictures of some of the items you may have made... Thanks

Karen

JulieR 11-28-2012 06:44 AM

I don't have pictures of them, but many years ago I made wall hangings for my SIL and MIL that included appliques of their children's / grandchildren's handprints with their signatures underneath. My MIL still displays hers.

QuiltnNan 11-28-2012 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5685139)
I don't have pictures of them, but many years ago I made wall hangings for my SIL and MIL that included appliques of their children's / grandchildren's handprints with their signatures underneath. My MIL still displays hers.

I did one of those but did not put signatures underneath. Each child picked their own fabric. As you can see, the second child is left-handed. It's my daughter's favorite and proudly hangs in her kitchen - where she spend the most time :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379019[/ATTACH]

DOTTYMO 11-28-2012 10:33 AM

How about an applique tree shape onto which they can hang pictures of family pets etc. I have seen one no picture. Quick and easy at this time and will keep for years to come.

nycquilter 11-28-2012 01:41 PM

how about starting a tradition of making each person an ornament? That way, when the children are on their own and have their own first tree, they will be able to decorate it with ornaments that have a history.

TinaRibena 11-28-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5685160)
I did one of those but did not put signatures underneath. Each child picked their own fabric. As you can see, the second child is left-handed. It's my daughter's favorite and proudly hangs in her kitchen - where she spend the most time :)

Oh what a wonderful idea! I think I may have to do this for the four of us!

Jackie Spencer 11-28-2012 03:22 PM

I have 3 daughters, 38, 39, and 41. They love any and everthing I have made for them, and prefer a gift I have made. They have large quilts, throws, wall hangings, table runners and candle mats, and appliqued dish towels. I have quilted since they were toddlers so they know what goes into hand made items and treat them accordingly. They are so appreciative of everything I give them, I love making things for them.

gramajo 11-28-2012 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a little late to make for this year, but you could think about this for next year. I've made a couple of photo memory quilts for relatives & friends. I'll try to find the pictures to post for you to see.[ATTACH=CONFIG]379110[/ATTACH]This was made for my BFF's 70th birthday. I used photos of us since high school, her kids, my kids, her family travels, etc. Blue and green were our high school colors.

I made one for my daughter depicting her high school marching band days and one for my brother's 60th birthday using photos from his, my dad's and other brother's racing days. I can't find pictures of either of these to show you.

Another option would be to make T-shirt quilts using their old T-shirts or their kids' clothes when they were younger. My DD made a T-shirt quilt for me using the book "How to Make a Too Cool T-shirt Quilt" by Andrea T. Funk. It shows/explains how to use different sized motifs from the shirts. I think she found it at Amazon.

I'm sure that whatever you decide, they will treasure it because you made it for them.

Elise1 11-28-2012 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What about a tote bag? These went together quickly.

The pattern is "10 Strip Wonder Bag" by Suzanne Sievers. It can be purchased online.

lynnie 11-28-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter (Post 5685811)
how about starting a tradition of making each person an ornament? That way, when the children are on their own and have their own first tree, they will be able to decorate it with ornaments that have a history.

I did this for my son and on his first christmas, i got him a waterford tree topper.
Every year, my son gives his twim cousins an orniment for their trees. They are ten this yr.