Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gifts for boys (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gifts-boys-t90950.html)

carolaug 01-16-2011 06:32 AM

Wonderful idea!

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
There is a lady in my quilt guild that has the neatest thing going. She has 9 gr. children, 4 of them being boys. She is making all nine of them hope chests. Whatever she makes, she makes 9 of them. Which sounds daunting, but really isn't as she makes them individualized for each gr. child. She is making quilts, table runners, placemats, christmas stockings, tree skirts, etc. When these gr. kids get married, this will be their gift. Things for their home, hand made by their grandmother. I think it's a wonderful idea. They are still all young, but she shows them what she is working on and tells them that one day they'll have a whole lot of things made by her. She says they are always interested in what she is working on too.

PenelopeG 01-16-2011 07:01 AM

Excellent suggestions, thank you. I like the idea of PJ cases - but making hope chests is a wonderful - and big! project.

sweet 01-16-2011 07:20 AM

There is a lady in my quilt guild that has the neatest thing going. She has 9 gr. children, 4 of them being boys. She is making all nine of them hope chests. Whatever she makes, she makes 9 of them. Which sounds daunting, but really isn't as she makes them individualized for each gr. child. She is making quilts, table runners, placemats, christmas stockings, tree skirts, etc. When these gr. kids get married, this will be their gift. Things for their home, hand made by their grandmother. I think it's a wonderful idea. They are still all young, but she shows them what she is working on and tells them that one day they'll have a whole lot of things made by her. She says they are always interested in what she is working on too.

That is too cool!

BKrenning 01-16-2011 10:29 AM

Fleece slippers & hats, flannel pj pants & pillow cases, tv watching quilts--fleece, flannel or cotton--they don't care. Boys love snuggly stuff just as much as girls. You've just got to put a "boy" spin on it.

kriscraft99 01-16-2011 10:49 AM

super hero capes are great!
use velcro for the closure

also.. remember the frogs we had when we were growing up made of fabric with beans inside? and button eyes - those are fun too.

Originally Posted by PenelopeG

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
How old are they?
Pillowcases. PJ's.

Boys aged - 3, 5 and 9 years.

kriscraft99 01-16-2011 10:50 AM

"boy" themed aprons too :)

Originally Posted by PenelopeG

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
How old are they?
Pillowcases. PJ's.

Boys aged - 3, 5 and 9 years.

PenelopeG 01-17-2011 01:08 AM

Apart from applique, is there a quick way to put names/letters on fabric?

Rainy Day 01-17-2011 01:16 AM

I made a stencil out of a thickish plastic folder with our sons name on it, I used it on his stuff. It is about 6 inches long and about 3 inches wide. I use a household sponge dipped in paint to fill it in, not to thin, or too thick.
I also use his letter stamps - with fabric paint mix added to his normal paints, or I use fabric crayons, and a fancy font from the computer.

emptyshellamy 01-17-2011 01:55 AM

What a great idea! I have 4 girls and I'm doing something kinda similar...I've been collecting vintage Pyrex for about 10 years, when each girl moves out to her first real home she'll get her own set. I have some pieces identical to those my mom & grandma have, I thought it was a nice way to carry on our tradition (and they all get used, don't just sit on a shelf).

emptyshellamy 01-17-2011 01:57 AM

And on topic, I also sew for 2 boys in the family, 6 & 9 yr olds. This year for Christmas they each got a denim book/tote bag with their name on it and a fabric inside that matches their quilts I made. These boys LOVE handmade and call them "Amy's special gifts" (cue awwwww).