Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gifts for coworkers? ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gifts-coworkers-t254080.html)

bestjlb 09-20-2014 04:31 PM

Gifts for coworkers? !

This may be a sticky question. I know it's a dilemma for me. I am a pharmacist who works full-time in a hosptial with lots of crazy shifts. I have many female coworkers (male, too, but let's just stick to the girls for now) who know I'm a quilter and have admired my work. I have made some gifts for occasions-babies and such-but I am often feeling that I should make something for everyone. So I'm putting this out there for those who are out there in the same boat or have been there and figured out a way to do this without breaking the bank, money or time. We're talking about over 10 pharmacists and maybe 16 technicians. Advice? Thanks!

yel 09-20-2014 04:37 PM

mug rugs or coasters ....quick easy and won't break the bank

SweatyPie 09-20-2014 04:40 PM

Consider possibly a lanyard made from bright fabric with which they can carry work ID or keys.

Nammie to 7 09-20-2014 04:40 PM

I've made mini stockings and put a little candy in them for co-workers. One question is tho -- do they make or give gifts to everyone or would you be the only one doing this? Would this put pressure on others to do the same thing? Keep in mind they may kind of expect you to do this every year.

bearisgray 09-20-2014 04:47 PM

I would avoid starting the tradition of giving and/or exchanging gifts.

Once started, it's hard to stop it.

Post a card on a bulletin board (if there is one available) wishing everyone "happy holidays" and keep your life as simple as possible.

If people feel they MUST give a gift - pick a charity or a project that people can participate in a "as wiling and/or able" basis.

Cathy77 09-20-2014 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by bestjlb (Post 6897191)
I have made some gifts for occasions-babies and such-but I am often feeling that I should make something for everyone.

Why? :confused:

jeanne49 09-20-2014 05:07 PM

I have to agree with some of the ladies who suggested no gifts. It's a little crazy for anyone to make gifts for nearly 16 people. Bake a tray of cookies and everyone can share. Where I used to work there were only 6 of us and we actually did give gifts to everyone, but for 3 of them my friends and I shared the cost of the gift.

Wow I Like That 09-20-2014 05:11 PM

Why not suggest a grab bag. I work in a large dept in a hospital too and that is what we do. Then 1 lucky person gets something handmade.

Doggramma 09-20-2014 05:17 PM

My personal opinion is that you'll regret it if you start doing something crafty or quilty for everyone. I would need to feel extra friendly to everyone to want to put that amount of effort into a gift for every single co-worker. Then what would you be expected do next year - that's what I'd be thinking

jeaniedrain 09-20-2014 05:35 PM

if others want to exchange gifts, why not draw names? Then you can make one gift. Make it small, placemats coasters mug rugs, table runners, ect.