Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Giraffes in a Row Pattern - Strategy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giraffes-row-pattern-strategy-t317816.html)

CurlyA09 03-20-2022 04:43 PM

Giraffes in a Row Pattern - Strategy?

I have embarked on a new challenge for myself, working on a quilt using the pattern Giraffes in a Row from Sew Fresh Quilts. There are soooo many pieces. I've got them all cut and organized (or as organized as they're going to get) and now it's time to start piecing. I have a deadline of October 1 which is far quicker than I usually work, so I want to be as efficient as possible.

I'm not sure what strategy to go with - to work by color - meaning I do the instructions and make the red giraffe, then repeat for orange, etc. Or if I should do all of the Unit 1's for each color then the Unit 2's, etc.

My question is to anyone who has completed this quilt - which strategy did you use, did you feel it was efficient, and would you do it differently if you did it again?

greensleeves 03-20-2022 04:49 PM

My daughter made this quilt and after cutting all the pieces, she completed one giraffe before moving to the next. She felt it kept from mixing any pieces. Good Luck with whatever method you choose. It is a very cute quilt.

Mumto2 03-20-2022 05:48 PM

I made two of the giraffes from the sew fresh pattern with all the jungle animals which have a slightly different head attachment last year. I would be tempted to mix it up and do a section at a time as long as your colors are very different. They actually go quite quickly after you start sewing. Have fun!

cat-on-a-mac 03-20-2022 05:48 PM

I made two of these, as baby quilts for my niece who had twin boys. I did them a giraffe at a time also.

Barb in Louisiana 03-20-2022 06:39 PM

This is such a cute pattern. I haven't made it yet, but it is on my bucket list.

my-ty 03-20-2022 07:30 PM

I made a giraffe at a time and did the smallest one first. I used it as a reference for the remaining giraffes. They are so cute and found that they quickly went together because I kept wanting to see what the next one looked like. You will be surprised by your progress!

GingerK 03-21-2022 04:07 AM

I also made that pattern. I wanted all six giraffes but in a baby quilt size. It ended up being an easy change. I just shortened the necks a bit, and made the spaces between the bodies narrower. I also made one giraffe at a time, Mine were in rainbow colours. It's a really well written pattern and very easy to follow.

suern3 03-21-2022 02:34 PM

I made mine one giraffe, color, at a time. I clipped like pieces together with wonder clips and put a small label on with a piece of sticky note for each letter. It went together very well and is so cute.

cashs_mom 03-21-2022 06:41 PM

I haven't done this pattern, but I have done Dogs in Sweaters by Elizabeth Hartman. Tons of little pieces. I did one block at a time. When I cut the pieces, I put them in ziplock bags with a piece of paper telling what they were. It really helped me to keep them straight.

my-ty 03-22-2022 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 8543931)
I also made that pattern. I wanted all six giraffes but in a baby quilt size. It ended up being an easy change. I just shortened the necks a bit, and made the spaces between the bodies narrower. I also made one giraffe at a time, Mine were in rainbow colours. It's a really well written pattern and very easy to follow.

I did the full size 6 giraffes quilt, it was huge. It worked well as a floor quilt, both baby and older sibling could play on it. If I make it again, I would shorten it up like you did.