Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Giving the quilt is bittersweet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giving-quilt-bittersweet-t161556.html)

MegsAnn 10-19-2011 06:24 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting news that the quilt I made has reached its owners. Mailed it on Monday, so it should be back to them by Friday. I have a few days left to wait yet. It sure can't be replaced if it gets lost in the mail, so I made sure to get extra insurance and a tracking number on it.

See, this is the quilt I volunteered to make for my cousin's wedding last year. It's a log cabin pattern in their colors. I completed the blocks before the wedding and had each guest sign one at the reception. The writing and drawings on the blocks are so sweet and special! I told the newlyweds that I'd get the completed bed-sized quilt to them for their first anniversary.

It's hard letting go of something so special after sitting with it for a full year. More than that, if you count the few months I had of planning it and making blocks before the wedding last October. I hope they like it as much as I do.

The UPS lady who took down the address and processed the extra insurance asked why I was making such a big deal over a "blanket". I explained what I'd done for this custom quilt. She was so impressed! It sure was fun to educate somebody about this artform. :)

Oh, and before you ask, I'll post pictures after the couple has recieved their gift. I just feel weird showing it to anybody before they've seen it.

blueangel 10-19-2011 06:32 AM

Anxious to see it.

MawMaw B 10-19-2011 06:35 AM

I understand exactly about giving of a quilt. I feel like I'm giving a part of me with each quilt that I gift.

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 06:57 AM

keeping my fingers crossed for a safe delivery. am looking forward to seeing it.

Glassquilt 10-19-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
Oh, and before you ask, I'll post pictures after the couple has received their gift. I just feel weird showing it to anybody before they've seen it.

I feel the same way.

jaciqltznok 10-19-2011 07:25 AM

I hope they get it soon and really love it..

however a word of caution..NEVER give details about the quilts you are shipping to anyone..not even the PO worker who could just be playing DUMB to get more info out of you...
quilts are valuable, and yes, they MUST be shipped insured, but the contents of the box do not need to be disclosed to anyone..ever...

be sure to post pix!

johanka 10-19-2011 08:34 AM

I like the word "blanket" that she used.

MegsAnn 10-19-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by johanka
I like the word "blanket" that she used.

There's nothing wrong with that word... but in context if it was "just a blanket" then it devalues the effort and care that was put into it. Conversely, if it was "a fabulous blanket" that changes the whole thing.

MegsAnn 10-19-2011 10:08 AM

Jacquie, thanks for the reminder to be careful.

craftybear 10-19-2011 10:15 AM

Please let us know if the quilt gets delivered