Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ?giving your top to professional quilter?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giving-your-top-professional-quilter-t52816.html)

kwiltkrazy 07-05-2010 01:43 PM

You can use your embroidery machine to quilt for you. I know what you mean, even if I could afford to send them out I don't think I would, I just like having control over my creation. I love their work, I just want to be as good as them. It's a whole pride thing with me. Is it really mine if they do the quilting? But, I can see I'm getting better all the time. And, I really do enjoy it, except for the sandwiching.

Pigeon Patty 07-06-2010 09:07 AM

a quilting bee is where a group of people get together, sit around a quilt in a frame and hand quilt the project until finished. I may take hours to days depending on the size. This makes a big job a lot faster. You do however have to contend with the difference in stiching from each participant.
Hope this helps! I do both, send some hand quilt some.

Originally Posted by granny_59
Sorry, what is a quilting bee?

Even if you dont HAVE to give credit to a longarm quilter on your label, I would never do such a thing. But not without the feeling, that it is all my quilt anymore.

quiltmom04 07-06-2010 09:21 AM

it is about as hard to put a quilt into the hoop as to squeeze it under a normal sewing machine............it is no option for me

Don't put it into the hoop - just hoop the stabilizer and do a "fix" stich (or basting stitch - whatever your machine calls it0 to hold the fabric down, and do the design. i've done that often and never had a problem, especially becasue the batting give it extra support.

quiltmom04 07-06-2010 09:24 AM

I am having a big setback in my love to quilting!?
After x-hours (whom am I telling) I got a lovely top with (almost) all points matching and than all I am able to is SID and lousy meandering.........

Why dont I have a problem to make the applique with my marvelous embroidery machine - much better than I ever could do by hand - and at the same time hate the idea to give my top to a professional quilter?

Could it be that the worst would be to add her name on my label??? I dont want to share the credit!
Most of the receivers dont have an idea anyway what kind of work went into that quilt and might end up thinking that I just donated the fabric.

How do you feel about it? If I come up with the idea of a long arm quilting machine my DH might file for divorce :lol:

Granny

When I do labels, I always say "pieced and quilted by..." You can say "pieced by...; quilted by..." I help with our historical society's quilt documentation project, and 100 years from now, it's valuable information to have on just who pieced a quilt and who quilted it. If you don't want to share credit, don't have someone else do it.

Candace 07-06-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

it is about as hard to put a quilt into the hoop as to squeeze it under a normal sewing machine............it is no option for me

Don't put it into the hoop - just hoop the stabilizer and do a "fix" stich (or basting stitch - whatever your machine calls it0 to hold the fabric down, and do the design. i've done that often and never had a problem, especially becasue the batting give it extra support.

Interesting...

mhansen6 07-06-2010 11:44 AM

I work 45 hours a week and all I have time to do is the piecing. I know this woman, Sandy, who is an artist with the longarm. I have sent her several quilts and she stitches designs that only enhance the quilt top I have made. Her stitching does not overwhelm the quilt. I would love to have the time to do my own quilting, but not until I retire. In the mean time Sandy does an amazing job. She insists that I not include her name on the label. I would not hesitate to send a quilt to her. Hopefully you can find someone like Sandy.

RugosaB 07-06-2010 12:18 PM

You seem to have what we call around here the "Mon'ca do it self" gene.
I have this teeny little daughter, who's now 23 named Monica and from day one she insisted in almost everything she tried, to do it herself, and told us at times "No, Mon'ca do it self"
For a couple of years when she was a toddler, we never used the word H-E-L-P, she'd have a tantrum if we did

I will never take a quilt top to a longarm owner, I take great satisfaction in a job well done, to the best of MY ability

granny_59 07-06-2010 12:46 PM

:lol: I realy have that gene and I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one.
I dont have problems to give my quilts away as a present so the "ALL MINE" concerns just the making.

I will also not make much more atempts in mastering machine quilting. I will just make stunning tops that only need SID and maybe some meandering. :lol:

Besides that I am handquilting and getting better at that one.

Gabbystabber 07-06-2010 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is hard, but I send some of my quilts out. I have the most wonderful custom long arm quilter. We always chat about design and decide how she will quilt what I want on the quilt. I never never just give a quilt to her and expect her to quilt whatever way she thinks best.Our last colaboration awarded us both a blue ribbon.

QuilterInVA 07-06-2010 03:22 PM

I've always felt there are two types of quilters - piecers who send their quilts out to be quilted and quilters who do the whole job. I'm a hand quilter and only do a little machine for things like baby quilts that will be washed a lot.