Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   givng quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/givng-quilts-t164630.html)

CloverPatch 10-31-2011 08:09 AM

i don't think it is weird.
We make something for someone.
I don't think everyone understands just what that means "Made for YOU"
not premade, off of a shelf and hope it fits your personality.
No,... Made just for you.
When you make something just for them, you want to see their face, you want to know you got it right.
YOu don't always need a thank you, not looking for praise.
Just a simple "that will do pig" to know you did good.

Jersey Gal 10-31-2011 08:27 AM

I like to see the recipients facial expression.
Two years ago, a friend of mine who collected snowmen told me she had enough snowmen, and wouldn't be collecting any more. So that Christmas I made her a lap size sampler quilt, and gave our other friend a snowman themed quilt. When the ex snowman collector saw the snowman quilt she said, I hope I have one like that too. I felt sad when I saw the disappointment on her face when she opened her sampler quilt. The following year I made her a snowman quilt. This is the same friend who asked what I could use, and I mentioned certain colored hand towels for the powder room. Would you believe she gave me three sets, and none matched the color of the powder room. Of course, I was gracious and put on a happy face.

EagarBeez 10-31-2011 08:31 AM

I worked in the nursing field. I just loved to put a smile on someone's face

Blue's quilting mama 10-31-2011 08:33 AM

After all the time and effort we put into making our works of art, it would make it even better if we can see the surprise and happiness on the recipient's face.

Greenheron 10-31-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
i don't think it is weird.
We make something for someone.
I don't think everyone understands just what that means "Made for YOU"
not premade, off of a shelf and hope it fits your personality.
No,... Made just for you.
When you make something just for them, you want to see their face, you want to know you got it right.
YOu don't always need a thank you, not looking for praise.
Just a simple "that will do pig" to know you did good.

CloverPatch, "Babe" is one of my most favoritest animal movies and, I think, James Cromwell's best performance.

Ann Marie O 10-31-2011 09:18 AM

I don't think it is "weird" at all - we all put so much love and care into gifts we make for others and appreciate the thank you's we get but the look on someone's face gives us the greatest thrill and is what makes us feel the best.

wolflady 10-31-2011 12:53 PM

I think it is nice to see the gift opened. The look on their face says it all.

Glassquilt 10-31-2011 01:23 PM

I'd rather see the joy on the recipient's face than get a formula thank you card. But if I can't be there then I do expect a card.

wolfkitty 10-31-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i always want to see my gifts opened. part of the pleasure of giving is seeing the joy on the recipient's face

It's one of the best parts!

sewbeadit 10-31-2011 04:05 PM

Not weird, and the little boy is darling.