Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glad Press-n-Seal for FMQ, and another related question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glad-press-n-seal-fmq-another-related-question-t218158.html)

maryellen2u 04-04-2013 03:38 PM

I am so glad I can learn from other people's experiences! Thank you all for your help!

lots2do 04-04-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5978127)
Please be very careful with the Mr Clean Magic erasers. They're actually abrasive, it's how they "magically" remove things. I learned the hard way with the Teak table we got from DH's parents. There were sharpie marks on it from the kids, so I thought, hey these new Magic Erasers seem like just the thing....

It took the sharpie marks off, along with part of the finish. I had to re-oil the table and it still didn't ever quite match. Luckily, I'm the only one who knew where the marks were.

If you use one on a shiny surface, and look carefully, you can see the scratches it leaves, making the surface dull where you use it. They're great for some things, but I wouldn't use them on a sewing machine bed myself

Other than really porous surfaces, I usually use a dry erase marker to remove permanent marker. The solvent in the pen dissolves the "permanent" marker as well, then you wipe it off. I do this on all of my rulers when I use permanent marker and get some on it. I've done it to the tops of laptops, dry erase boards, desk tops, all sorts of things. It's worked on almost everything. The surfaces where it's "pitted" (like the finish on a early 90s Pfaff for instance) it doesn't work as well on, but with more elbow grease you can get even most of that out.

What a great tip! Thanks!

d.rickman 04-04-2013 04:57 PM

When I paperpiece, I just spray a little water on the paper side, and it comes off quite easily.
Make certain not to overspray, or it will get soggy, and thus a mess.

MaryKatherine 04-05-2013 02:59 AM

Wax paper is my choice of material. I run the paper thru my domestic machine without thread tracing the inked pattern on regular paper. Then I use the wax paper on my longarm and follow the dots. Tears beautifully.

MaryKatherine

MissBarbQuilts 04-05-2013 04:37 AM

I would never know about topics like this if not for the Quilting Board!

Teeler 04-05-2013 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5978127)
Please be very careful with the Mr Clean Magic erasers. They're actually abrasive, it's how they "magically" remove things. I learned the hard way with the Teak table we got from DH's parents.

Right. I've never used them on a porous surface such as wood...but I have one of those 'textured' refrigerator doors that simply won't come clean, and the MCME does the trick (along with a bunch of other stuff that not even a scrubbie pad will work on). I'm sorry your table was ruined :(

Teeler 04-05-2013 04:41 AM

Back to the topic...I think I'll try the 'perforation' method with tissue paper or even the used dryer sheets. I was reading a post on a blog yesterday and was glad to see that I wasn't the only one who is hesitant to mark on the right side of fabric :)

Steady Stiching 04-05-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 5975475)
I found the glad press and seal a real pain to get out from under my stitches. (I used some to when I did some hand quilting, so my stitches weren't exactly tiny) also I used a red sharpie to mark my quilting lines and my thread actually took on some of the colour so now it is pink :(
As for paper piecing use the cheapest paper you can find and use a slightly smaller stitch than normal, and tear carefully, it should all come out. If there are tiny pieces left they would wash out when you first wash the quilt.

Also you can spritz it a bit with water if its giving you a tough time. A pattern I bought used very very heavy paper (Bella Bella) and spritzing worked great.

susancansew 04-05-2013 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 (Post 5975504)
If it makes you feel better, I used a red sharpie to mark lines on interfacing, and after sewing them all, I now have a nice red line across the bed of my sewing machine :(

I thought Sharpies were permenant! I used kids washable markers without a problem. Always test any marker on your fabric before marking your acual quilt. I also love the Frxion (sp) pens.

susancansew 04-05-2013 06:11 AM

I then traced my design onto washable interfacing , I used a little bit of glue stick to hold it in place. When I was finished with my quilting I just put it in the washer and everything washed out beautiful.

You mean "Wash away" ot "Washable" right?