Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   glue basting quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-basting-quilts-t305757.html)

meyert 07-14-2019 05:37 AM

glue basting quilts

I have learned so much on this board, and one of my favorite has been glue basting a quilt. Saves me so much money, I just love it.

My issue that I just finished a quilt that was a nightmare!! I glue basted it but things did not go well so I want ask questions to see what I could have done wrong

I had spots of glue that I could not even sew through. I had to stop and sew from the other direction. I also had more wrinkles on this quilt than I ever have... so I need some help :)

I watched this video and she does it similar, but also does things that I have not and would not do

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VRDGAR

Question #1 - do you use the glue straight or do you dilute it with water?

Question #2 - do you have all 3 layers down when you baste right from the start like this lady does? Or do you do it slower? (just have the backing and batting down and baste that. then when that is done you add the top and baste that?)

Question #3 - do you use the water bottle and iron? if so, what does that do? does it just speed up the drying? or what?

sandrab64 07-14-2019 06:05 AM

I glue baste all my larger projects. I dont water the glue down. I tape the batting to the floor, lay the quilt top on top and smooth it all out. Pull back half of the top and lightly drizzle the glue on very thin...you dont need much. If you get a clump, be sure to spread it out with your finger. Reposition top and, smooth out, and use an iron to heat set. Repeat for other half. Do the same process for the backing...tape batting piece to the floor and lay the backing on top.

Onebyone 07-14-2019 06:17 AM

After I squeeze dot the glue on the top or back, one section at at time, I use a paintbrush to smooth out the glue. This way there is no big spots of glue. I use as little glue as possible. I use folding tables to glue baste. I have two or three to hold the quilt flat. I use my iron to press the glue dry after basting the top to the batting. I flip it and then baste the back to the batting ironing again. Using an iron keeps wrinkles out. It seems as the glue dries on it own there are wrinkles as the glue shrinks some when it is drying. I iron directly with the quilt on the table top. Hasn't hurt the folding tables at all. I use the tables that fold in half. They are much easier to store and to move.

EasyPeezy 07-14-2019 09:32 AM

You can use the glue straight or dilute. I prefer to add a bit of water.
I smooth the glue with my finger or my hand. I keep a wet cloth near
me so I don't have to wash my hands every time.
Wrinkles - It's important to stabilize the batting before putting the top
or backing. I use those big clips as I baste on a big board.
I would definitely not add the glue like in the video. It leaves too much
big gaps. I prefer to "write" with the tip of the glue. Make small waves
and close to each other...that sort of mimicks pin basting.
I don't know why she uses a water bottle. I've never used one.
Totally unnecessary in my opinion.
If you baste in sections on a table, specially when working on a big quilt,
make sure not to leave any big gaps between the last line of basting.
Start close to where you left.
Hope this helps.

Rhonda K 07-14-2019 10:12 AM

I just did glue basting on the last two projects. One was fine and one I had to take out some quilting I didn't like. Oh my, it was a few picked stitches at a time. That was a pain!

I used glue right from the bottle and a wide chop stick to flatten out any lumps.

First glued the back and batting in quadrants. Smooth and iron each section to hold together. Then the front and batting were done. Again in sections and ironed smooth.

juliasb 07-14-2019 10:16 AM

I have never tried glue basting but after watching the video and reading these comments I am tempted to try. Anything that makes it easier to baste and manage a larger quilt is something that interest me

meyert 07-14-2019 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone I appreciate hearing how you do yours. The next one I try I will try a few of your tips to see if that helps me

Stitchnripper 07-14-2019 11:35 AM

I do it on my dining room table. I lay the pieced front down first, nothing is taped or clamped - wrong side out, then the batting and then the backing, right side up. I peel back part of the backing, drizzle the glue straight from the bottle in a grid, no smoothing with paintbrush, if there are any globs, use my finger to smooth them out. The pull up the backing and smooth it out with my hands. It is easily repositioned. Then go to the other side of the table and pull back the rest of the backing, same procedure, drizzle, and smooth the backing, adjusting if I have to. It goes very fast. I am standing up. Then, flip it over and do the same with the top. If it is a very large quilt, I pull it down to mid point, glue halfway up, smooth up, and slide down the quilt sandwich and glue and smooth the rest. Then go to other side of table and repeat. It really goes very fast. I leave it on the table to dry and then it can stay a long time before quilting. I wash out the glue, usually with a presoak. I have never broken a needle, had a needle gum up, or had a pucker anywhere. I don't iron anything. It is very easy. I think of glue basting as replacing pin basting, not spray basting and have never found the need to have it cover every inch of the quilt. The grid or squiggle I use keeps everything secured.

Jingle 07-14-2019 03:04 PM

I just pin baste my quilts with large safety pins. Everyone finds what works best for them.

toverly 07-14-2019 04:07 PM

I water my glue down so it flows freely. I think the most important thing to remember is that you are not trying to glue the entire thing. Just enough to tack it together like pins. I smush flat any blobs that occur.