Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glue Basting Sceptic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-basting-sceptic-t257960.html)

DACO48 12-08-2014 05:57 PM

Glue Basting Sceptic

Oh my gosh, I glue basted my first quilt yesterday. It is a T-Shirt quilt I made for my son, using Shirts that date back to Jr. High and he s 43. I used a fleece back and the glue. What a time saver. I don't think I will ever do it any other way. I used it straight out of the bottle. The only problem I had was getting fleece buggars (pardon my verbage) on the tip of the bottle. Left it lay in the sun a couple of hours and serpentine stitched the seams. Now in the process of doing a little something in the center of each block, more or less to tack them down. Thanks for the hint.

evelyn5269 12-08-2014 09:46 PM

I always glue baste but hold the bottle up above the fabric and drizzle it. Nothing gets on the tip.

lynnie 12-08-2014 09:48 PM

I've never glue basted in my life. I've made well over 350 quilts, and all hand basted. something is telling me I must try this medthod. maybe on a smaller quilt or a table runner. thanks.

Barb_MO 12-08-2014 10:01 PM

I'm liking glue basting. Some times I use it when sewing Half Square triangle units together to be sure the point are correct when piecing them to other units. Also on bindings. I can't squeeze the bottle so have to pour out some on foil and use a toothpick to get it to put where I want it, but that works, because I need so little.

DACO48 12-08-2014 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 7000850)
I always glue baste but hold the bottle up above the fabric and drizzle it. Nothing gets on the tip.

Well that would be a "DUH" I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!

patinvt 12-09-2014 03:15 AM

What kind of glue do you use? Doesn't it gum up your needle?

mawluv 12-09-2014 03:51 AM

It is a wonderful thing!!!!!! I will never baste any other way! Like Barb_MO, I too, use school glue for piecing points, bindings,to hold down laces, trims, ric rac, just about anywhere that I used to use pins!!!!

Juliebelle 12-09-2014 03:54 AM

Since I did my first quilt with the glue, I would not go back to pinning so much easier to use the glue. Just make sure you use the Elmers washable school glue, I do thin it just a bit to make it easier to squirt. I also love that it washes out so well and I have not any issues with it gumming up my needle.

mawluv 12-09-2014 03:58 AM

What kind of glue do you use? Doesn't it gum up your needle? Pat, you use washable school glue. There are several threads on here that can explain and show how this is done. Try it on something small first. You will be amazed!!!

lovingmama 12-09-2014 04:13 AM

You also can use the Elmer's glue stick, washable of course. The stick is wonderful for the binding or even to keep the zipper in place. Washes out fine and makes my work easier.