Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glue Bating Questions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-bating-questions-t181090.html)

Silver Needle 02-29-2012 04:28 AM

Glue Bating Questions?

1. Are You spray basting for hand quilting or just for free motion quilting with dsm?

2. How do use the glue to baste binding?

3. If you were a customer would you object to someone using glue to baste binding if you found out and hadn't given the ok?

Sunnye 02-29-2012 04:46 AM

1. I don't hand quilt but I do use spray basting for machine quilting.
2. Glue! To Baste? Never.
3. Yes, I would object. Glue gives the fabric a different (stiff and hard) feeling. I would not use it unless it was just a small dab in a very difficult place.

Stitchnripper 02-29-2012 05:57 AM

It seems to me that once you spray baste it would be too stiff to hand quilt through, but, I haven't actually tried it. I do spray baste very infrequently for machine quilting.

moreland 02-29-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5018202)
It seems to me that once you spray baste it would be too stiff to hand quilt through, but, I haven't actually tried it. I do spray baste very infrequently for machine quilting.

I do a lot of spray basting and it has never made my quilts stiff. I don't do a lot of hand quilting but in my limited experience it seemed the kind of batting made more difference than anything else???

AliKat 02-29-2012 07:29 AM

I only used spray basting a long time ago. That was do do quilting on a rather large quilts. Now I have a handiquilter and don't need to use it anymore.

I do use school glue to apply my bindings. I washes away and isn't stiff after washing, such that you can't tell I used it. I have used both glue sticks and liquid glue - school type, that is it washes out easily. I have also used it with applique.

ali

Buckeye Rose 02-29-2012 07:30 AM

I spray baste the sandwich, but for fmq.....I always use a glue stick on bindings, so easy and fast (no more pins) and it washes out just fine, nothing left to make the binding stiff.....Spray basting and glue (whether bottle or stick) are all designed to wash out, so there is nothing left to affect the feel of the quilt.....I always wash my quilt as soon as the bindings are sewn down - it washes out any starch, glue, spray basting, and any dirt or oils from my hands.....It also will help any areas needing attention be seen.

omaluvs2quilt 02-29-2012 09:20 AM

I only fmq on my machine, so don't know about the handquilting. I definitely use "school" glue for the bindings, Sharon Schamber's method (check out her web-site), although some may not want it if they don't wash their quilts right away. My mom usually doesn't wash hers until they need it, but she uses the glue method anyway. I would ask if it were for a customer.

Prism99 02-29-2012 10:32 AM

I have seen quite a few posts from hand quilters who spray baste. If you are not sure, make up a small sandwich and test it. The brand of spray may make a difference; personally, I would use only 505.

Sharon Schamber has a Youtube video on how to use Elmer's washable school glue to glue-baste bindings. Here is a link to the 1st part of her 3-part series on binding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

As a customer, I certainly would not object to glue basting for the binding as long as it was done well. This means using small dots of glue a la Sharon Schamber -- not big globs that bleed through the fabric. Elmer's washable glue comes out in the wash and anyway, if used properly, does not stiffen the binding unduly.

jlwheart 02-29-2012 10:43 AM

After watching Sharon Schamber's youtube on glue-baste bindings, my bindings have turned out so much better. She has a wonderful way of showing how to do it that makes it really doable. I hope it works for you.

Stitchnripper 02-29-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by moreland (Post 5018452)
I do a lot of spray basting and it has never made my quilts stiff. I don't do a lot of hand quilting but in my limited experience it seemed the kind of batting made more difference than anything else???

Good to know. I just spray basted a few mug rugs using warm and natural. I didn't think I oversprayed. Maybe it was the June Tailor spray. Or my technique is lacking?