Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glue on fabric question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-fabric-question-t14309.html)

cas 12-11-2008 04:25 AM

I am so excited. My 10 y/o granddaughter asked me to help her make a couch throw for her mother for Christmas. I know that isn't much time but we managed to get half of it done. She is doing amazingly well and loves it!

Now her Aunt is going to buy her a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm going to get fabric, notions, etc.

Yesterday I went to Joann's intending to buy a few fat quarters for her. I bought 20! ( I knew you would understand ).

My question: as I was taking the sticky tag off the fat quarters some of the tags left a sticky glue residue. How do I get that out before I wash them?

Thanks for your help.

PrettyKitty 12-11-2008 05:00 AM

You might find that nail polish remover may dissolve it, although I think it has to be the kind that DOES have acetone in it.

To avoid any affect on the colur of the fabric just use a small amount and dab/wipe it on with cotton wool until the glue is gone and then rinse with cold water before washing.

pocoellie 12-11-2008 05:55 AM

You could try freezing the fabric then try to tenderly scrape off the glue or maybe try rubbing alcohol.

Moonpi 12-11-2008 06:38 AM

Goo-Gone is the product I use for removing tag glue residue on anything.

Tiffany 12-11-2008 07:06 AM

Oooh, lucky you for having a granddaughter who is interesting in learning such things. Neither of my girls want to have anything to do with quilting and I'm really hoping one of them gives me a granddaughter who will carry on my addiction. Although if I don't get a granddaughter, I am more than willing to convert my grandson, once he's older than 10 months. :lol:

I too have never noticed the glue on the fabric sticking through the wash, but when I do get some on the fabric I simply soak it in warm-hot water for a couple of minutes and then peel/scrape it off with my fingernail. I'm a bit nervous to use any alcohol or nail polish remover or anything that may change the color of the fabric or weaken it so I don't know if those methods work. I've heard people really love the goo-gone, though I haven't tried it myself. Good luck. Let us know what you used to get it out and whether it was successful or not.
Piece ~ Tiffany

beachlady 12-11-2008 08:48 AM

I too have never tried to remove the glue before washing - in fact never even thought about it - just throw in washer with the Woolite. Good luck!

grammo013 12-11-2008 09:20 AM

I always spray the glue with hair spray and toss in washer it all comes off. Learned this years ago. The same with ink.

Linda

Elizabeth A. 12-11-2008 09:43 AM

I haven't had trouble, like Loretta said I take the sickers off and throw them in the wash. Joann's has always been extremely good about taking returns back. Do you still have your reciept? If so call them and explain. I'm pretty sure the glue staying behind has to do with how long that sticker has been on the fabric. Just ask them if you wash them and the glue doesn't come out can you bring them back? My guess is the answer will be that it's fine to return.

Tiffany 12-11-2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by grammo013
I always spray the glue with hair spray and toss in washer it all comes off. Learned this years ago. The same with ink.
Linda

I always forget this tip. :roll: I don't know why. I need to start writing these things down! I can really use this when it comes to getting ink out, especially if it is my husbands pocket shirts. :lol:

The local Joann's here has always been good about return items, as long as there is a receipt.
Piece ~ Tiffany

cas 12-12-2008 03:05 PM

I got the glue out.

I used Goo Gone and then washed it and it was fine.

I had to cut up one of the fat quarters as the tag came off in pieces and some of it wouldn't come off at all.

Thanks for all the tips.