Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glue Sticks - what's the secret? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-sticks-whats-secret-t226330.html)

Kitsie 07-22-2013 01:05 PM

Glue Sticks - what's the secret?

Elmer's glue sticks work well when you first open them, but after storing them for a day or so, they just seem to dry up and not be effective. Yes, I cap them firmly and put in a drawer & yes, I am using the correct ones. I use the glue itself, but when I'm doing open seams the stick is easier to "un-stick".

I'd like to be able to use them! :(

tessagin 07-22-2013 01:16 PM

Every once in a while I have the same problem. When I do, I run them over a damp paper towel. It's like taking off the top crust. I also store them upside down like in a cup or jar or such.

EasyPeezy 07-22-2013 01:31 PM

I hate glue sticks. I bought a pack of 5 or 6 and the first one I tried was already dry.
Didn't stick at all. I much prefer the liquid glue.
Kitsie, they say to put it in the freezer. Mabye give it a try. Hope you didn't get the
same dried batch I got.

Lormito 07-22-2013 01:38 PM

I prefer Avery glue sticks. As long as you put the cover on when not in use, they don't dry out. Also the application seems to be smoother than with other sticks.

ckcowl 07-22-2013 01:56 PM

I've not had this problem- I have glue sticks that I may use once, put away & not get back out for a month or more- they always seem to work just fine. do you live in a really 'arid' area? you could store them in the refrigerator- that would help them stay 'hydrated' or just moisten the end with a damp paper towel when you get them back out.

Kitsie 07-22-2013 02:18 PM

Thanks, guys. Easy. I am beginning to feel like you but hear everyone else finding them very useful. I have never heat-set them, do I need to? (that's an added ?) I'll try the wet paper towel and the fridge ideas. Are the seams easier to pull apart to press open?

EasyPeezy 07-22-2013 02:58 PM

Kitsie, have you tried Roxanne glue-baste-it? I bought a small container
(from Connecting Threads) and with the extra fine tip. A little goes a long way.
I don't know how many project I made and I still have lots of glue left.
You do have to set the glue with the iron. I haven't tried to pull the seams
apart. I usually use pins for piecing because I like to press open. But
when I'm adding borders or binding...the glue-baste-it is very helpful.

BellaBoo 07-22-2013 03:27 PM

I keep the glue sticks in an air tight container. That seems to work for me. I like the Lapel Glue stick. It's the best I've used.

Kitsie 07-22-2013 03:56 PM

Nope, I haven't and love using the Elmer glue, but wondered if the stick is easier 'cause you don't need to heat set it ? and can just smear it on as you piece. With the glue I have the tiny bottle that I just unscrew the top of a little bit for the finest dot or line, then refill it from the big bottles. I also use pins but thought I'd ask! :)

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6190868)
Kitsie, have you tried Roxanne glue-baste-it? I bought a small container
(from Connecting Threads) and with the extra fine tip. A little goes a long way.
I don't know how many project I made and I still have lots of glue left.
You do have to set the glue with the iron. I haven't tried to pull the seams
apart. I usually use pins for piecing because I like to press open. But
when I'm adding borders or binding...the glue-baste-it is very helpful.

Kitsie 07-22-2013 03:57 PM

from an office supply store?

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6190900)
I keep the glue sticks in an air tight container. That seems to work for me. I like the Lapel Glue stick. It's the best I've used.