Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Going Camping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/going-camping-t40558.html)

Shelia 03-24-2010 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We're leaving next Thursday for 5 days to go on our Annual Spring Break Camping Trip. Our grandchildren will be with us, along with our two dogs. I'm all about the hiking, walking, bike riding, dutch oven/over the fire cooking and kite flying. My grandchildren have even nicknamed me "Action Granny".

Well, I asked my hubby last night "if I take my sewing machine, will it pull too much current from the electrical box?" We have a small travel trailer and I could set my machine up on the table. He says "no, I'll just run an extension cord directly to your machine...WHAT???? You're going to take your sewing machine camping?????" Like that was a bad thing! Like it's something that has never been done before.

Has anyone ever taken their sewing machine camping with them? Mine will miss me terribly.

Shelia

Caleb, Bailey and Mister Bean. We didn't have Lulu last year.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28495[/ATTACH]

countrymaid 03-24-2010 10:47 AM

I have a friend that takes her sewing machine. They camp most weekends in the summer and it's just the two of them. She plans her projects for those she takes and those she works on at home during the week. She has two machines and leaves one in the camper for the summer.

Marjpf 03-24-2010 10:50 AM

I never did - but we only tent camped. I think it sounds like a great idea. And if anyone gets a tear in their clothes, your ready to fix it!

saf45 03-24-2010 11:01 AM

hi sheila my name is sheila also, we went on a trip to alaska took my sewing machine and three totes of cloth and supplies, made two quilt tops while there, was gone 5 weeks, dh was glad i had something to do while he fished, have a great time.

thequilterslink 03-24-2010 11:01 AM

i take mine along when we go for long weekends, but i seldom get to use it, but it is there incase i do.

Jim's Gem 03-24-2010 11:28 AM

I have taken mine camping a couple of times. We had borrowed a small moterhome from a friend and I sat in there and sewed in the Air Conditioning during one of my breaks (we were the Food Crew for a group of 180 people, 120 of the High Schoolers)
Another time I took it and on a nice clear non windy day was sewing on the picnic table.
There was another couple women a few campsites down doing the same thing.
I have never brought it tent camping, only when I had a trailer or moterhome.

mom-6 03-24-2010 11:35 AM

One of the reasons I like hand stitching so much is the portability factor.
However I have used my machine in my travel trailer (parked on our two acres in the woods...power and water hooked up). The only problem I had was that the light was not really good except in the daytime - an issue with hand stitching as well. Yours probably is newer than mine and the manufacturer has addressed this issue...I have an early - mid 1980s model.

carrieg 03-24-2010 11:36 AM

I haven't but have thought about it! I even read an article in a magazine about 3 ladies who do it all the time. So they're out there. Heck, there's probably a forum just for that LOL

bkb 03-24-2010 12:00 PM

I use to take mine with us camping, I'd sit it on a picnic table, and plug in to the outside plug of our camper. DH plays bluegrass and whole bunch of use get together to jam. Then I always had an excuse to go into town to add to my stash!

Chasing Hawk 03-24-2010 12:08 PM

Get a treadle...human powered.