Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Going to the experts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/going-experts-t29023.html)

cminor 11-20-2009 01:08 PM

Thanks! I see the point - probably a lot of advertising. I never even thought of the book store. My daugher and I love to go to Barnes & Noble, get a coffee, and just look around.

Thanks!!!!

Pam B 11-20-2009 01:20 PM

I would also suggest trying your public library...I know mine has quilting/crafting magazines as well as quilting reference books. It seems like I have spent a small fortune on subscriptions and, to be honest, I have rarely ever actually made a project from any of them. Especially when I was beginning quilting, I found I was better off taking various classes at my LQS and also joining in on their yearly Block of the Month club. I have learned SO MUCH from the BOM that I know I would never have learned from a magazine. The magazines are fun to look at and some of the articles are interesting to read...but that is pretty much it for me. Just a suggestion. :)

Bluphrog 11-20-2009 01:31 PM

Most magazines havea a website now, so if you have the time to surf the web, that might be a better bet than buying a subscription.

I have two subscriptions -- McCalls Quilting and Quilters Home -- because I have an hour commute each way to work every day. Quilters Home was started by Mark Lapinski. It usually only has 3 quilt patterns, but he has interesting articles about lots of topics, because we quilters are usually crafters / collectors, too.

amma 11-20-2009 01:40 PM

I prefer quilting books to magazines myself. I can find them used online and with shipping not much more than a magazine's price.
I have seen all of the magazines trend of more advertisements...I understand the need/reasons but the proportions have got way out of hand!!!

BellaBoo 11-20-2009 02:56 PM

Library magazines are always sponsored. If you would like your library to carry most of the quilt magazines, start a fundraiser to buy the subscriptions for them. This is one fundraiser my guild will be doing this year. It doesn't take a lot of money and the guild gets the magazines at the end of the year to pass out to the members. It's a win win.

littlehud 11-20-2009 03:29 PM

I love Fons and Porters Love of Quilting. Before I decided to subscribe to any of them I bought a lot of them in the store and decided which one I liked best.

minstrel 11-21-2009 05:03 AM

I learned to quilt from McCall's Quick Quilts (I really need to see things come together fairly quickly especially when I'm learning something). The quilts are "quick", mostly simple patterns, and it has a section in every issue on the basics of quilting: cutting accurately, accurate seams, binding, etc. which I found helpful. On top of that, I spent lots of time searching the library for books with patterns that I liked. You can usually find Eleanor Burns books at most libraries and she always simplifies patterns to make it easy for newbies. Have fun learning (and come here often...you can always get lots of help here!)

MsSewer 11-21-2009 09:46 AM

I subscribed to a lot of them and stopped everything except McCall Quick Quilts. The other source I use is the internet and search for "free quilt pattern. There is alot of site and they ofter tell you what skill level the pattern is. Hope this helps!

Olivia's Grammy 11-21-2009 09:52 AM

Some time ago I subscribed to about 6 at one time. They would have one or two I'd like. I only subscribe to one at a time now. i tear out the patterns I like and give the mags away. Check out thrift stores. I have bought out of date quilting mags there.

Shemjo 11-21-2009 10:52 AM

I do not subsrcibe to any magazines any more. I use my coupons at Hobby Lobby and JoAnns to get magazines because most of what I am interested in is already on sale!
Also, there are so many things on line that I can getthat I don't need anything MORE to pick up! There are so many ads in the magazines that are pretty, but not my style.