Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Going to my first Quilt Retreat.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/going-my-first-quilt-retreat-t114722.html)

Gramie bj 04-09-2011 07:09 AM

Some where on this sight someone started a list, a lot of us contribuated to it not sure who it was. I'll try to find it

Joanie2 04-09-2011 07:45 AM

Crafty bear started a thread about what to bring. Search Retreat list. March 11. Lots of ideas on what you should pack.

WonkyWanda 04-09-2011 08:39 AM

Thank you ALL so much for the great suggestions. My daughter is coming with me and we are getting SO excited!!! :-D
I am so afraid of forgetting something vital and then not being able to take full advantage of our time there. We are going from Friday thru Sunday, and I think there are 2 optional classes available for us. If anyone has anything else to add, please do so. Thanks again, you ladies are awesome!!!

QuiltSage 04-09-2011 08:45 AM

When I went to my first quilt retreat I took everything I could think anyone would ever need. I didn't use most of it. I travel a little lighter to retreats these days. But here are a few things I won't do without. Power strip, desk light, chocolate, extra needles and cutter blades. If you have a roommate you may want some ear plugs. I know my roommate would need them. ;-)

WonkyWanda 04-09-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
When I went to my first quilt retreat I took everything I could think anyone would ever need. I didn't use most of it. I travel a little lighter to retreats these days. But here are a few things I won't do without. Power strip, desk light, chocolate, extra needles and cutter blades. If you have a roommate you may want some ear plugs. I know my roommate would need them. ;-)

LOL good thing my daughter loves me! (zzzzzz)

QuiltE 04-09-2011 01:23 PM

Ask the organizers what is included and what you need to take!

There's no sense in taking more than is necessary ... and at the same time, you want to be prepared.

I'd go with what they tell you to bring ... and have some extra things in my car "just in case".

As for what you will do ... here's how some retreats in my area do it
* you pick fabric ahead of time, and they prep it ready for you to sew Mystery Project!
* you are told yardage and type to get, for a Mystery Project
* you bring your own project

One in this area is pretty deluxe ... you stay at a B+B Spa, with next thing to five star meals. A massage included and other spa treatments available for extra $. You take your sewing machine and basic supplies. All the other things (cutting mats, rulers, rotary cutters, iron and ironing boards etc) are there for you. Makes for a lot less packing!

And then there's others ... that are pretty much like moving your whole home, including taking all the food!

So ASK!!!!!!!!

quilt3311 04-10-2011 03:05 AM

I'm off to a retreat this afternoon. For this one there will be an actual 2 day class with Shelly Burge. She sent out a supply list needed for class. The retreat center sent out a list of things that are furnished and what is not. At this particular center, they furnish a snack room (price included with registration) has coffee, tea, soft drinks, water, micro popcorn, package snacks, yogurt, apples/oranges/bananas, even chocolate chip cookies.
You should get a list of supplies from the organizers. One I attend, we have to take our own bedding and towels etc. Ask the retreat sponsor.
For your own sewing, your pattern, fabric, threads, cutters, mats, rulers, sewing machine and all you need for sewing your project, extension cords, possibly iron and small pressing surface, sometimes large board and iron are furnished.
Clothes, something comfortable, most retreats are NOT fashion statements. You will be sewing for long stretches of time, so think lots of water to keep hydrated.
Most of all go with a smile and have a ball.

JSNOMORE 04-10-2011 03:42 AM

Always start with a list and check it off as you pack. I have seen so many women get to a retreat without there footpedal or there power cord or feet. These are things at home you just take for granted but when packing you really need a master list. Also after you return from retreat recheck your list to see if you would add anything. Also make sure to label all of your stuff. With that many scissors and rulers in one room you don't want to misplace your stuff.

helen31406 04-10-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by WonkyWanda
Please give me some idea of what to expect. What should I bring?
Should I have a big or small project to work on? Thank you for helping.....

Are classes scheduled for the retreat. If so, take what is suggested. Otherwise take what you need for what you wish to work on. Things to consider are: Will you be able to leave your machine and project set up in a secure space? How far do you have to transport your stuff. Can you drive right up to the door or do you have to "toke things a ways." Retreats are a joy. Meeting new people and getting to know old friends better is a much a part of the retreat as the quilting.

Crickett Sweet 04-10-2011 04:27 AM

bring your UFO's You might get bored just working on one project - bring several. It's a retreat where you are supposed to relax and have fun. You don't have to finish anything. You might be able to have a large design wall to lay out completed blocks. I don't have one at home but always bring a flannel sheet and thumbtacks to retreats. Have a wonderful time.