Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Going to a quilt show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/going-quilt-show-t104177.html)

kaykwilts 03-01-2011 04:12 PM

I am planning on attending the Dallas Quilt Show in 10 days. Now, it has been many years since I last went to one. Last time, I was completely overwhelmed and came away from the show unable to absorb all that I had seen. It was almost depressing!!! And it was a small show!! I expect this one will be much larger.

I was wondering if any of you have some ideas of how to enjoy a show, without being overwhelmed.

This is a big step for me, as I have avoided shows since that last experience. Any suggestions will be very helpful
k

Karen's Kreations 03-01-2011 04:30 PM

I went to the Houston show a few years ago and I've been to Paducah several times so I know where you're coming from. The best advice I can give is to allow yourself rest periods - get away from the show and relax a bit. Don't try to do it all in a day. It's really sensory overload - but what a way to get overloaded!

Joanie2 03-01-2011 04:31 PM

I love to go to quilt shows and look forward to our own Pacific International Quilt Show every year. I do admit that sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming with so many people there. My 3 friends and I make it a special event. We go early on the first day. I drive and they help pay for gas as well as my dinner. We bring our lunch in a cooler and take a break by going back to the car to relax and unload any purchases we've made at the halfway point of our day. First tip -- bring a friend so you can share the day. The key to shopping is first to have a plan -- how much money do you have to spend? Take a quick look through your stash to see if there are any fabrics you need to fill gaps --like I never seem to have grey or pink. Is there a project you want to start? You need to focus on those needs rather than just spend for the sake of spending. Look for deals that work for you. Don't feel pressured into spending more than you can afford to comfortably spend. And take your camera. I always see quilts I think I would love to make and looking at the photos afterward helps me decide if they really should go on my "to do" list. Sometimes I'm in love with just the pattern or the colors and fabrics used. Bring water and a snack or two. Comfortable shoes are a must and a bag to hold your purchases so you don't have to deal with all the plastic bags. If you are driving or plan to use a credit card you'll need to have those with you as well as whatever cash you want to use but leave the big purse and all that unnecessary stuff at home as it will only bog you down. Go with the idea that this is an adventure and just have a great time. If you are positive you are going to have a good time, you will make it happen.

cbridges22 03-01-2011 04:56 PM

Joanie2 great advise!

Dolphyngyrl 03-01-2011 05:06 PM

I like the bring a friend idea, I go with my aunt to the CA show, we love it, we go just one day, take as many pictures as we can. We don't try to see everything, we just try to have fun and admire all the beautiful quilts and talented people that entered them, I usually visit a few vendors if i am looking for something specific i can't find at home. Just don't try to do it all in one day. that might be too much.

suebee 03-01-2011 05:17 PM

Is this show over a 2 or 3 day period? I would suggest NOT going on opening day. Always crowded and hard to just browse without being pushed around. I have learned that opening day BIG groups in huge buses pile in. Its crazy. Much better on second day.

rexie 03-01-2011 05:24 PM

When I go to the Paducah Show, I always have in my mind what particular items I am looking for so I don't spend a lot of time looking through things that I don't want. This year my priority is fabric.