Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Going to try hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/going-try-hand-quilting-t35411.html)

cizzors 01-29-2010 06:37 AM

I am so sick of SITD. I made up a block for my next quilt and decided the it was too dark so I thought I would sandwich it and try hand quilting it.

My only question right now is what type of thread to use. Keep in mind, I only have a Walmart to shop at til I either get in town or order on line. Maybe just use my quilting thread for practice since this is only a 12" block and won't really do anything with it? TIA, Karen

Loretta 01-29-2010 07:27 AM

My Wal-mart has thread just for hand quilting. You could try that. Good luck. I'm sure it will be just great.

shaverg 01-29-2010 07:44 AM

If your Walmart has cotton fabric for quilting they should have quilting thread. Quilting thread is a little stiffer, because of the coating, I ususal use coats and clarks cotton coated polyester. I have tried the 100% cotton gutterman for quilting and for me not crazy about it.

k3n 01-29-2010 07:54 AM

I use the same uncoated cotton quilting thread as I use for machine quilting and run each length (about 18" at a time) through a little block of wax. Works fine! :-D

redrummy 01-29-2010 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I use the same uncoated cotton quilting thread as I use for machine quilting and run each length (about 18" at a time) through a little block of wax. Works fine! :-D

Same here, I use reg thread, run it thru the wax to coat it, it glides thru the material so much smoother.

MNQuilter 01-29-2010 08:57 AM

You are going to love hand quilting! It is so relaxing!

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

good idea.

Dix 01-29-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
I am so sick of SITD. I made up a block for my next quilt and decided the it was too dark so I thought I would sandwich it and try hand quilting it.

My only question right now is what type of thread to use. Keep in mind, I only have a Walmart to shop at til I either get in town or order on line. Maybe just use my quilting thread for practice since this is only a 12" block and won't really do anything with it? TIA, Karen

I love to hand quilt. it is so relaxing and I usually have something going, just to pick up and do while I watch TV. I always use YLI quilting thread. It sounds expensive, but it is strong and easy to thread the needles. I think you can get it on line, but nearly every quilt shop carries it. I like the off white and tan. They work well with every color. Enjoy your quilting.

Tippy 01-29-2010 10:30 AM

I don't mind paying more for hand piecing/quilting thread as it takes less than half as much as it takes for machine stitching. When I started piecing and quilting on the machine I was astonished at how much thread it takes.

Damkina 01-29-2010 11:04 AM

Like yourself, I'm having a break from the machine and doing some hand stitching and then will be hand quilting.

There is 'hand' quilting cotton that is slightly thicker, but I've found that machine quilting cotton is just as good for hand quilting.

Hope you enjoy sitting and relaxing whilst you quilt.

Just an added thought... thread a few needles before you start sewing. Once I was 'on a roll' and trundling along those seams, it's better/easier to have a needle at the ready to carry on with. :-)