Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Golden Threads Paper User Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/golden-threads-paper-user-question-t206328.html)

copehome 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Golden Threads Paper User Question

A question for users of Golden Threads quilting paper -- is parchment paper (NOT freezer paper) a close substitute? I was baking with the parchment paper and thought it felt very similar, but I have not purchased any Golden Threads. Could it be a less expensive alternative?

Quiltngolfer 11-18-2012 01:55 PM

I think they are quite different. The Golden Threads is very thin.

Rose S. 11-18-2012 02:18 PM

Are you familiar with the paper that regular patterns are made of...the patterns from McCalls, Simplicity, etc...The tissue like paper they are made of is very similar to the Golden Threads paper. I have only used it for two quilts and it was well worth the money.

katier825 11-18-2012 02:19 PM

In addition to being thinner, the Golden Threads paper is more see through. It will be easier to see where you are quilting using the Golden Threads paper. It goes a long way. A roll of Golden Threads paper is 20 yds (60 ft), the Parchment Paper I have is only 24 ft. It's not that much more when you take that into consideration. I don't care to mark directly on my quilts, so I find it is a worthy investment for me. :)

copehome 11-18-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rose S. (Post 5665723)
Are you familiar with the paper that regular patterns are made of...the patterns from McCalls, Simplicity, etc...The tissue like paper they are made of is very similar to the Golden Threads paper. I have only used it for two quilts and it was well worth the money.

On the website tutorials, it looks more substantial than pattern paper. I have experimented with tissue paper, but it doesn't tear way easily - it pulled stitches and left little pieces. Sometimes you just have to go with the original!!!! Thanks for your input :) I'm going to order some now!

patchsamkim 11-18-2012 06:20 PM

A good substitute if you can get it is examining table paper...same weight as the golden threads paper....white, can somewhat see through it. It tears away easily, but not too easily. I have a friend who's husband is a dentist and she lets us buy a roll at cost whenever we need one. Maybe you can ask your dentist if you can buy a roll...or your doctor....or order a case from Amazon and share with your friends :).

grammysharon 11-18-2012 10:20 PM

I agree, I use Golden Threads paper for quilting and it is more like tissue paper, but a little stronger!!!!

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 5665684)
I think they are quite different. The Golden Threads is very thin.

Phyllis nm 11-19-2012 04:06 AM

A long time ago I bought this paper at an art supply store close to the university. It was called canary paper.<o:p></o:p>
The label says “Bienfang Hunt “ in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Statesville</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">NC</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">28677</st1:PostalCode></st1:place>. no.107—canary paper for sketching & tracing. It was a 50 yard roll by 18”. It came in 12” and 18” rolls. More #’s on the roll: 341-136 and the bar code was 79946 03846. made in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I traced hundreds of names and numbers and sanded the backs for stenciling. <o:p></o:p>

sandyl 11-19-2012 04:16 AM

Sorry to be so unaware, but is this used for marking the quilting pattern and then pin, glue or lay on the quilt. And you sew thru the paper? Never heard of this item before. Thanks for the info.
Sandy

feline fanatic 11-19-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl (Post 5666798)
Sorry to be so unaware, but is this used for marking the quilting pattern and then pin, glue or lay on the quilt. And you sew thru the paper? Never heard of this item before. Thanks for the info.
Sandy

No need to apologize, especially when you are not unaware at all because that is exactly what Golden Threads paper is used for.